Alan Turing to feature on 50 GBP note
Read the questions on the form below. Then, listen to this news report about the mathematician who is going to feature on the new polymer £50 note (
). You can listen to it twice. Once you have finished, submit your answers to check whether you were right or wrong. Please pay attention to the feedback to both right and wrong answers.
1. What’s going to happen to the 50 GBP note?
It will be out of circulation by 2021
It will change the material it is made of
It will be the last ever 50 GBP note
2. What is Turing’s greatest legacy, according to the reporter?
He fought for the Allies in the Second World War
He invented the first computer
He carried out groundbreaking work with artificial intelligence
3. What was one of the consequences of his sentence for a homosexual relationship?
His achievements were eclipsed by his criminal record
He was deemed as ‘indecent’ by academics
He had to serve time in jail
4. What happened to his sentence in the end?
He was given a parole so that he could undergo treatment
He was never pardoned in his lifetime
He had to serve his full sentence
5. The popularity of this banknote is debatable because…
it has traditionally been associated with corruption among the government
cashless transactions are gaining ground
many business are reluctant to accept it
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service