The Midtown Greenway Coalition announces a call for proposals for the Greenway Glow 2017, to be held July 29th in locations in and along the Midtown Greenway.
The Greenway Glow is an illuminated nighttime bike ride, 5k walk/run and arts festival on the Midtown Greenway. This event will run from 7 pm – 12 am.
Call for ProposalsWe invite you to propose a project or performance that is sited/performed along the Midtown Greenway, a 5.5 mile long corridor for non-motorized vehicles between the Mississippi and Chain of Lakes. The project/performance should be prepared to engage a broad public audience.
While none of the following are strict requirements, they are each important factors we will consider when selecting projects/performances.• Artistic content. The proposed work can be serious or funny, spectacular or intimate, mobile or stationary, or combination thereof, but it cannot be an advertisement or for sale at the event.
• Theme. Why is your project perfect for the Greenway? Is the project illuminated in some way?
• Participatory. Not all projects will have direct audience participation, but our goal is that a significant percentage will. How will your project/performance engage the audience? Is it hands-on? Make and take?
• Duration. The Greenway Glow is from 7pm-12am. Does your project take advantage of this duration? If you are performing, will you schedule multiple performances?
• Mobile/Pop up. We’re interested in at least some projects that are mobile and/or have a light footprint and can be placed in a few locations during the night.
• Feasibility. Installation takes place the same day and de-installation the same night. Make sure your project is feasible and impactful and that we understand how.
LocationsWe will do our best to accommodate preference however, we will have several locations with a concentration of projects. Permission may be needed if your project is illuminated or projected on a privately owned building, etc. If you have a question about a specific site, email Janey@midtowngreenway.org. We reserve the right to place projects/performances where we believe they will fit best in the corridor, but we will do our best to accommodate your preferences.
Technical RequirementsDepending on the location, we will try to provide electrical access (in the form of extension cords). Best is if your project has its own power source. We discourage the use of generators. If you must use a generator, we require that it be one of the “silent” models.
Other RequirementsThis event is taking place in public spaces all projects should be respectful of residents and businesses in the area. Specifically, every project should:• Be safe• Not to include sound above conversational volume at a distance of 50 feet away (If your project requires sound louder than this, please let us know)• Meet all necessary City laws, ordinances, and codes
In addition, artists must provide their own team of volunteers to be onsite during the entire duration of the project.
Stipend LevelsStipends ranging from $25 to $500 are available. Please let us know if you will need a stipend and in the amount. The Greenway Glow Artist Recruitment Committee will review requests and determine if the request can fit with our budget. The committee will do their best to honor your request.
EligibilityArtists from anywhere are eligible to participate, but there is no additional funding available for travel.
Timing and DeadlinesProposals must be received by Noon CST on Thursday, June 29th.
Application materialsApplicants are required to submit:□ Primary contact information□ Proposal concept □ A photo or other image for your project, if available (Please email all photos to Janey@midtowngreenway.org)
Applications will be reviewed by the Greenway Glow Artist Recruitment Committee.
Please submit your application by NOON CST on THURSDAY, JUNE 29TH.