The 2016 Marblehead Race Series events are run over a variety of routes throughout Marblehead, including a trail race through Wyman Woods. This series gives runners of all ages and abilities the opportunity to not only be recognized for performances in individual races but also for participation in all the races regardless of the rank of the individual finishes. Participants in all 9 of the races will be awarded a commemorative hoodie or jacket; those in 8 of the 9 races will receive a commemorative t-shirt and those in 7 of the 9 races will be awarded a commemorative hat. All races support deserving non-profit agencies and charities, so fast times will not only be rewarded in prizes at the race, but will help benefit the worthy programs represented by the sponsors of the races.
The 2016 race series includes the following races:
1) Sunday, May 22: Tommy Hamond Trail Run, Hosted by Marblehead Rec and Parks Department all proceeds support improvements of the Hamond Nature Center, a wonderful spot for introducing youth to nature programs. The trail run goes through parts of Wyman Woods which will be a fun challenge for all.
2) Saturday June 5: Run for the Fund, 5K: All proceeds support Marblehead Dollars for Scholars, a charitable foundation that provides financial aid to residents of the Town of Marblehead and students of Marblehead High School solely based on financial need.
3) Sunday June 19: Freedom Run, 5K: All proceeds support Stepping Stones For Stella, a local non-profit providing Beach Buggies for children with disabilities, enabling them to enjoy the great outdoors like never before.
4) Friday July 22: Marblehead Mile, 1 mile: Provides an opportunity for a different popular distance for running enthusiasts and supports outdoor children's programs sponsored by Marblehead Rec and Parks Department.
5) Saturday, October 22: Miles for Mary, 5K: All proceeds directly benefit brain cancer research at Massachusetts General Hospital. A related occasion on November 6 is a seminar with research doctors from MGH on Innovations in the Treatment of Brain Cancer.
6) Sunday, November 6: Don Humphreys Veterans Memorial 5k, All proceeds from this race will support the Marblehead Rotary Club’s scholarship program and provide a scholarship to support a son or daughter of a veteran or a student entering a military academy.
7) Sunday, November 13, Full Hearts 5K: All Proceeds to benefit Fit Girls Run Club, a running, reading, and community service program for girls in the 4th-6th grade. The program provides non-competitive workouts designed to gradually and safely build endurance to run or walk the 5K race distance.
8) Saturday November 26 Back the Track, 5K: All proceeds go to provide continuing financial support for the constructions and maintenance of the new Susan Redfield Athletic Track at Hopkins Field in Marblehead.
9) Sunday December 11: Dreidel Dash, 10K: This race brings the community together in celebration of the beginning of
Hanukkah. Proceeds support children’s’ activities at the Jewish Community Center of the North Shore
There is no fee to participate in the 2016 Marblehead Race Series aside from the race registration fees. You can register for the series to be eligible for the awards and learn more about the races through the web site www.marbleheadraceseries.com or find entry forms at locations around Marblehead.