Helen Sevier, the second full-time employee hired at B.A.S.S., was a pioneer at all levels within the B.A.S.S. organization. Under her leadership in marketing, B.A.S.S. membership more than doubled to 20,000 the year after Sevier was hired. Memberships broke the 500,000 mark by 1990. In 1986, with an investment group, Sevier assumed ownership of B.A.S.S.; along with that came the title of President and CEO.
To honor her leadership and long-term vision for the growth of sportfishing, B.A.S.S., in partnership with Shimano, will dedicate two $2,500 “Pioneer” scholarships to deserving female high school or college anglers who wish to fish competitively at the college level. Application Deadline: Friday, June 16, 2023.
The Applicant Must Be:
• A high school graduate or rising senior
• A female student angler at high school or collegiate level
• A U.S. or Canadian citizen
The Applicant Must:
full-time student who is competing at the collegiate level on their school’s
fishing team at a four-year
college or university, two-year college or university, or vocational school
enroll in a four-year college or university, two-year college or university, or
vocational school as a full-time student (if current high school student) and
declare to compete at the collegiate level on their school’s fishing team
Scholarship Application Process:
1. Complete the Application form below.
2. Provide a copy of your most recent high school or college transcript.
3. Provide two Letters of Recommendation: one from a high school or college educator or fishing coach, and one from a B.A.S.S. Nation member, other than a family member. A second letter from a teacher/professor can be submitted in lieu of a letter from a B.A.S.S. Nation member. The letters should state why they feel you would make a good candidate for this scholarship.
4. Scan all required documents and email as a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed by Shimano and B.A.S.S. staff. The successful applicants will be notified by Friday, July 7, 2023 and be featured in B.A.S.S. media.
If selected for the scholarship, you will be required to provide:
1. Verification of acceptance into a college, university or vocational school, including the fishing team
2. Your Social Security number and IRS W-9 form.
Application Deadline: Friday, June 16, 2023
Please note: This award will be made directly to the student and not the student's educational institution and can be used for tuition, textbooks or living expenses.