Africa accounts for more than half of all under-five deaths globally. Every year, over 2.6 million African children under five years die from causes that are preventable or easily treatable. A big barrier preventing access to these life-saving essential health interventions is lack of financial coverage for health services, especially for children living in poor households. Despite these challenges some African countries have recorded significant progress in child survival and expansion of universal health coverage.
This CPHIA2022 session, co-organized by the Duke Center for Policy Impact in Global Health and Africa CDC, will
highlight these success stories at the national and sub-national levels.
The panelists will discuss the unique challenges they faced and how they tackled those challenges by adopting contextually appropriate solutions. They will also draw lessons that could be transferrable to other African countries.
The session will be moderated by Prof Gavin Yamey, Hymowitz Professor of the Practice of Global Health and Public Policy, Duke Global Health Institute and Director of the Duke Center for Policy Impact in Global Health, and will feature the following speakers and panelists:
- Prof. Agnes Binagwaho, Vice Chancellor and Professor of Pediatrics, University of Global Health Equity
- Dr. Osondu Ogbuoji, Assistant Professor, Duke Global Health Institute and Deputy Director of the Duke Center for Policy Impact in Global Health
- Dr. Dereje Duguma, Current State Minister of Health, Ministry of Health, Ethiopia.
- Dr. Fabong Jemchang Yildam, Director General, Plateau State Contributory Healthcare Management Agency, Jos Nigeria.
- Prof. Gilbert Kokwaro, Professor of Health Systems Research and Director, Institute of Healthcare Management at Strathmore University Business School, Kenya.
- Ms. Dorcas Noertoft, Chief, Procurement Services, UNICEF.
This CPHIA 2022 side event will be held on December 12th from 8:00AM at Meeting Hall 3 of the Kigali Convention Centre.
Single day registration is also available at USD 50.
For any questions, please contact Ipchita Bharali email@example.com