ASFF 2021 Film Submission Form
Calling all innovative storytellers and surf filmmakers!
Welcome to the 9th annual Aotearoa Surf Film Festival to be held in February/March 2021. As a small pacific nation with our roots deeply connected with the native forefathers of surfing and an infinite coastline, we are a country of surf enthusiasts and ocean lovers. In order to keep the surf masses happy across our small coastal communities, we are pleased to announce the return of New Zealand's international surf film festival competition and would like to open up the official call for submissions from surf filmmakers across the world.
For ASFF 2021 we are only accepting short films as part of the festival. Feature films will be by invitation only.
As filmmakers ourselves we understand that entering film festivals can be demanding. We like to keep things as simple as possible. No submission fees and simple digital film delivery. Here is how to enter:
1. Take a look at the entry rules below, then fill out all your details and hit submit!
2. Upload your digital file via Vimeo (password protected link or wetransfer) or similar streaming platform only
Really is as simple as that!
KEY SUBMISSION DATES
Call for submissions opens: Monday, November 30th, 2020
Close of submissions: Friday January 8th, 2020
Official selection announced: Friday January 29th, 2020
Short Films Only: Under 20 minutes
We accept all films that celebrate the art of wave riding and surf culture.
NEW ZEALAND MADE FILM ELIGIBILITY
The Best NZ Filmmaker Award and NZ Grassroots Award is open to all filmmakers from New Zealand or residing in New Zealand. The NZ Grassroots Award category is for self-funded passion projects and preferably uncommercial in nature. This criteria is subjective and decisions on eligibility are determined at the discretion of ASFF festival management and the screening panel. We encourage professional, amateur and first-time kiwi filmmakers to submit.
We will only accept an HD or 4K digital film entry. Due to the demanding selection process and New Zealand’s isolated location at the bottom of the pacific (expensive shipping) we keep all entries digital only, via streaming platforms. We ask that you only send us a password protected streamable file (via Vimeo or Youtube), we do this to ensure piracy protection for your film.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT HARD DRIVE OR DVD SUBMISSION.
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2020.
- All music must be cleared.
- No music videos, PSAs, commercials or blatant advertising.
- More than one entry may be submitted. Each film entry must be accompanied by it’s own submission form.
- Titles produced in languages other than English must have legible English subtitles.
- Filmmaker’s agree to the use of up to 2 minutes of their films by ASFF for promotional purposes.
- Filmmaker’s agree that permission is given to ASFF to screen the Film at the ASFF event as well as at ancillary
Festival presentations, programs, and/or events
- Filmmaker’s agree that no license fees will be paid for the screening of their film(s).
- Filmmaker’s agree that they will indemnify ASFF from any third party claims against ASFF for the screening of
the Film or any materials associated with it for breach of copyright or privacy or failure to obtain the appropriate
clearances and releases.
- Entry does not guarantee acceptance into the ASFF festival and the selection committees’ decisions are final.
- ASFF festival management reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or 2019 festival scheduling.
- I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility information, Submission Guidelines,
General Rules of Entry and Entry Eligibility requirements
All filmmakers will be contacted on January 24th, 2020 informing you of the officially selected films. If your film
is selected for the festival, a representative will contact you to acquire 3 hi-resolution still images from the film and a trailer or short video clips for the marketing of the film at the festival. We will also ask for a downloadable copy for festival screening.
No film festival would be complete without awards! Our team is currently deciding on the final categories as well as some prizes for the award winning films. These will be made public on the ASFF website and Facebook page in January.
GET YOUR ENTRY IN!
So with all the formalities out of the way, what are you waiting for! Fill out the form below and upload your digital file. We
look forward to receiving your entry!
Thank you and good luck.
The ASFF team
For all entry enquiries please email us at:
Country of Origin
Year of Completion
Short Synopsis (100 words)
Entry Contact Name
How will you be submitting your video file?
Please email the link and password to
Vimeo password protected link (use box below)
Vimeo password protected link (please include password also)
Link URL address
By checking this box I agree to all rules and guidelines of the Aotearoa Surf Film Festival
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service