Hyperborea 2020 - Temple Application Form
We're so glad you're considering applying to build the spirit of our event. The Temple is heavy with symbolic meaning, as it represents the loss that comes with change and growth. For more information on Temple, please check out this recommended reading:
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Temple Grant - $2000
APPLICATION DUE DATE:
Friday February 7th before midnight including supplementary materials.
COMPLETE BUILD PLAN (INCLUDING TECHNICAL DRAWINGS AND BURN PLAN) DUE DATE
ADDITIONAL SUBMISSION MATERIALS
Please send your supporting documents to
with the subject line:
"Temple Application: " followed by your project name
e.g. "Temple Application: Machine That Does Not Play Nyan Cat"
These are due on the same date as your application form.
1. Temple is expected to completely burn on the Sunday Evening of the Event. Please ensure no part of your structure is to remain.
2. Temple must be constructed from fire-safe materials.
Please make sure you are familiar with the guidelines for building burning art:
Prohibited materials include the following:
- Natural or synthetic fabric
- 1/8" and 1/4" plywood
- Plywood with a veneer layer
- Wool and leather
Small amounts of these materials placed inside are acceptable. The presence of large quantities are not acceptable by FAST standards.
3. Please do not include transportation in your budget. Temple has a guaranteed spot on the Hyperborea Art Truck.
4. Your grant is $1500. Should you wish to exceed this amount for your project, please consider alternate fund sources such as crowd funding, fundraiser events, digging for gold, wrestling tournaments, bake sales, etc.
5. The purchasing and supply of fuel for the Temple Burn is the responsibility of the artist. Fuel costs may be included as part of the construction materials listed in the project budget required with your application.
6. The Temple Burn is intended to be a somber burn. Many participants will use this burn as a time to deal with loss, and we would like to provide the appropriate environment for such reflection. We encourage you to keep any lighting ceremonies simple, and we urge you to help us in keeping the burn quiet and respectful. Please avoid any drum circles, loud music, or theatrics.
7. If you don't know all the answers, don't stress. If you have questions or feel unsure about any of the above, reach out! We're happy to guide you through the process and get you the information you need.
Your application will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
1. Artistic Excellence (Design & Philosophy)
How original, interesting, relevant, daring, magical, thought-provoking is your idea?
2. Completeness of Design
How well-thought-out is your project? You should provide enough information for us to imagine your creation and how it comes together.
3. Feasibility & Constructability
How feasible is your idea? Will it stay together? You should have a detailed plan for both the technical construction of your project as well as a schedule to ensure it happens on time, with buffers for potential setbacks.
4. Appropriateness of Budget
Your budget should have reasonable costs that match the value of your materials.
5. MOOP/LNT Plan
Your project should have minimal waste production, and a plan for cleaning any possible Matter Out Of Place that could be produced during the installation or strike of your project. This includes a plan for cleanup of ashes and refuse produced during the burn.
6. Risk Mitigation Plan
Yeah, we get it. Art is dangerous sometimes. But make sure you have a plan to minimize the amount of harm that can come to people interacting with your project.
Your application will be reviewed in detail by each individual on our Art Grants Committee. Your project will be scored on a series of questions based on the guiding criteria above and compared to all other applicants. While Temple build differs from regular Art Grants in that experience and skills are considered, they aren't mandatory. The merit of your application is what will determine the Temple selected. The more detail you can provide, the better.
The Temple budget is a materials subsidy, the same as any of the regular Art Grant categories. Please take a look at our "What do we fund?" and "What don't we fund?" sections in the Art Grants FAQs page for a better idea:
If you are selected, you will receive 75% of your grant upon award, and the other 25% upon completion of the project, submission of your receipts, and a clean LNT score.
Things to remember:
BE RADICALLY SELF RELIANT
BE RADICALLY EXPRESSIVE
BE RADICALLY INCLUSIVE
HAVE A DAMN GOOD TIME
Page 1 of 5
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Hyperborean Experiential Arts Team.