In establishing the rules for applications for the Cannabiz Startup Pitch we ‘borrowed’ what we thought were the best ideas from the industry.
For starters, it's ok to break the rules. That's what entrepreneurship is about. Just so long as you don't break more than two of them. We are looking for:
1. More than just a concept. We are looking for companies that are beyond just the ‘concept phase’. There must be a demonstrable product and we will heavily favour those able to bring a technical as well as commercial team members to show that the company is built on solid ideas.
2. ‘Early Stage’ projects only. We are looking for early stage companies. Ideally, we are looking at those at prototype stage or who’ve just launched. This means they haven’t gained significant media/investment attention and also are not at the idea concept! Publicly traded or large, well-known private companies are not eligible (this rule cannot be broken!).
3. Ready to deploy capital. It is preferable but not required that the project hasn't already raised a large amount of money from institutional investors (small amounts from friends, family and mentors are fine, but the key word is 'small'). Also, this is not a forum for established companies seeking later stage capital or strategic exits (this rule cannot be broken!).
4. Startups only. This Startup Pitch is for new companies and entrepreneurs to gain attention and investment; it is not for established companies to launch new products or even divisions. (this rule cannot be broken!).
5. Total commitment. The fewer existing commitments you have, and the more you can do to prove you are determined to execute the better.
6. A scalable solution. We want entrepreneurs with a unique perspective that are looking to take a scalable business solution to the next level.
7. English proficiency. While we are looking for solutions and businesses that span the globe, the Summit and the Startup Pitch are English speaking events, hence English proficiency is required.
8. Strong presentation. We encourage you to prepare a Pitch Video so we can promote your pitch prior to the event.
Please note: As we receive a large number of submissions, we may not be able to carry out follow-up interviews and we will be basing our selection on submissions only.
Therefore, it is very important that you fill out all required sections of the submission form while respecting the word limit.
These forms will be distributed to the investors and judges present during the Cannabiz Startup Pitch 2019 so they can make informed decisions about your start-ups.
Submission deadline: 4th October 2019