Worship Apprentice Application
WHAT IS A WORSHIP APPRENTICE?
A Worship Apprentice is a student who has musical gifts as well as any combination of:
• engaging in prayerful planning and preparation for worship
• practicing public speaking in worship
• making use of drama in worship
• invigorating worship through the visual arts or dance
• supporting worship through technology
• showing hospitality
• working with teams and administering worship related projects
Worship Apprentices will have opportunities to plan, lead, and take part in Chapel, LOFT, and more. Apprentices work as a team, supporting and encouraging each other, in addition to serving alone in various capacities.
WHO MAY APPLY TO BE A WORSHIP APPRENTICE?
Any current Calvin student wishing to develop or explore his or her leadership gifts and interests within the context of worship may apply. Applications are due by February 26, 2020, and selections will be made before Spring Break..
WHAT TIME COMMITMENT IS NEEDED?
1. Worship Apprentices must arrive two weeks before school starts for mandatory on-campus training. The training will be equal parts learning, working, and team building. It will include at least the following:
• Introduction to Reformed Worship
• Practice in worship leading skills
• Leadership development & team-building
In addition, there will be other opportunities for ongoing training throughout the year.
2. Each Worship Apprentice will commit to completing specific tasks each semester. These tasks will vary according to your skills and personal goals. During the semester the time commitment will average ten hours a week, and will include at least the following:
• basic office work (photocopying music, filing, e-mail, etc.)
• minor physical labor (move instruments, set up sidewalk signs, etc.)
• weekly worship planning, rehearsing, and leading
• constant, prayerful evaluation
• monthly mentoring and coaching
• team building (recruiting, training, and spiritual leadership)
• meetings -- at least 2/week
• The Worship Apprentice will be required to remain on campus for both semesters, interim, and interim break, as well as attend and assist at the Calvin Worship Symposium, held each January.
HOW LONG WILL APPRENTICES SERVE?
The Worship Apprentices will be selected to serve for one semester, with the expectation, given a positive evaluation that they will continue for an additional semester .
IS THERE COMPENSATION INVOLVED?
Apprentices receive a wage of $10.20 an hour totaling around $3,200 per year or $1,600 per semester. This should free most apprentices from pursuing other work during the semester.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNIFICANT DATES FOR APPRENTICES TO KEEP IN MIND?
• Application and Recommendation deadline: February 26, 2020
• Interviews: Late February - Early March 2020
• Select apprentices: Prior to Spring Break 2020
• Year-end gatherings: April/May 2020
• Training: Two weeks, late August/Early September 2020, before fall Semester
• Calvin Symposium on Worship: late January 2021
I have read the information above.
Page 1 of 8
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Calvin College.