This eight-session workshop aims to provide the foundation to write about photography in Southeast Asia. Beginning with an interdisciplinary framework to understand the praxis of photography from different approaches, participants will learn to use photography to understand and write about different aspects of our milieu, including its histories, politics, culture and art. They will also examine the “social history” and “art history” of photography in the Philippines and Southeast Asia.
The workshop places equal emphasis on practice, content and theory. Each participant is expected to complete a short essay on photography during the workshop. They will learn to generate and work with different source materials in writing their text, including the possibility of pursuing ethnographic work and oral interviews. The mechanics of writing a review (of an exhibition or photobook), a profile (of a photo practitioner) and a more analytical essay, will be discussed. Participants will be provided guidance and feedback, both individually and as a group, throughout the process.
- To equip workshop participants with an interdisciplinary framework of photography, which would allow them to think and write about photography from different approaches
- To explore the “social history” and “art history” of photography in the Philippines and Southeast Asia
- To guide participants on how to work with a variety of source materials to write about photography, including the mechanics of pursuing ethnographic work and oral history interviews
- To guide participants on how to draft, structure and write an essay on photography, including, and not limited to, writing a review (of an exhibition or photobook), a profile (of a photo practitioner) or a more analytical text
- To guide each participant to write a short article (minimum 1,500 words) on a topic concerning photography of her or his choice, with individual and group feedback provided during the workshop
- To equip participants with some best practices in terms of writing about culture
Schedule of workshop:
- June 24 (Saturday), 1-4pm (ONLINE)
- June 28 (Wednesday), 3-6pm (ONSITE)
- July 1 (Saturday), 1-4pm (ONSITE)
- July 5 (Wednesday), 3-6pm (ONSITE)
- July 8 (Saturday), 1-4pm (ONSITE)
- July 12 (Wednesday), 3-6pm (ONSITE)
- July 15 (Saturday), 1-4pm (ONSITE)
- July 19 (Wednesday), 3-6pm (ONLINE)
LIMITED SLOTS ONLY!
Regular: Php 8,000.00
Ateneo students, employees, Senior Citizens, and PWDs: Php 7,200.00
*A Php 2,000 confirmation fee is required upon registration to reserve your slot.
Language of instruction: English
Deadline of registration: June 20 (Tuesday), 5pm
Deadline of payment: June 21 (Wednesday), 5pm
For other inquiries, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org