2019 What IF...Application
Application to Present a 2019 WHAT IF FESTIVAL OF INNOVATION AND IMAGINATION EXPERIENCE
PLEASE NOTE: You will see a notice indicating you have successfully submitted this application. If you do not receive this message, there was an error. Please contact
if you have any challenges completing this form.
What IF...Festival of Innovation and Imagination - September 14, 2019
WHAT IS GOING ON?
The What IF…Festival of INNOVATION AND IMAGINATION invites you to propose an “Experience” (an exhibit, an experiment, an activity, a unique collaboration, or any other form of experiential interface that creates an important experience for the viewer/participant). Express your own innovation and imagination or the imagination within your organization, group of friends, business, or company, and devise a way to demonstrate it.
Entrepreneurs, business owners, scientists, engineers, makers, health professionals, students, educators, corporations, garage geeks, artists, musicians, performers, inventors, designers, gardeners, chefs, marketing pros, start ups ...
The WHAT IF Festival is September 14, 2019, with select Experiences from throughout the region and beyond. Hours of operation for the Festival are 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Fees: Fees increase for applications after August 1.
Imagination Celebration is a non-profit organization producing this celebration as a Day of Joy and Wow's for all ages - a day that draws thousands of us together to explore, investigate, experiment, learn something, stretch ourselves into something new, and engage with each other. This is a Festival designed to show off what you do while helping us be a stronger, more innovative, more creative, more curious, more engaged, more knowledgeable community. We collect booth fees to cover our costs for producing the event – street closures, security, barricades, marketing, printing, electricity, cleaning, trash. Thank you for choosing to participate and sharing what you do!
Please note: If you propose a surprising collaboration, something unusual, the Festival Team may sponsor your application and waive your participation fee.
OBJECTIVES OF THE WHAT IF FESTIVAL ARE ...
• Shine a light on diverse forms of innovation and imagination in our community. Show off interesting people, cool businesses, important tools and technology.
• Engage as many people as possible in a day of “wows!” together. Engage people of all ages in their own personally creative experiences. Celebrate together – share joys and aha’s!
• Cultivate creative collaborations and relationships that connect our community. Foster more innovation, invention, sustainability ideas, entrepreneurs, and creators.
* Though broadly inclusive, the Festival does not allow overtly political or religious subject matter.
THINK ABOUT THIS?!
• Demonstrate innovative process, innovative product, or both. Have you been inventing/building something amazing that the region should know about?
• Show collaboration between/among surprising partners, such as among multiple usually unrelated businesses, or between technology and art, or ranching and dancing, or …??
• Span different cultures or geographical areas.
• Result in a presentation, play, interactive exhibit, installation, or some completely unexpected interactive Experience.
SHOW IT -- WHAT WE NEED ...
Each application must show that:
• The proposed Experience is engaging/educational. Note: Sponsorships with product exhibition are available. A separate area is available for retail sales of innovative and imaginative products and services. There is an
additional fee if you are planning to sell anything (items, memberships,etc.)
• The proposed Experience is in good taste, appropriate for a family-friendly event and professionally presented and/or executed.
Please complete one proposal for each Experience you want to present. We call each element of the Festival an “Experience”, whether it is an exhibit, a performance, an experiment, an activity or any other form of interaction that creates an experience for the viewer/participant. Use your imagination! Make people say "WOW!"
NOT QUITE SURE YET? You know that you and/or your organization is doing something interesting, imaginative, innovative, but you are uncertain as to how that translates into an Interactive Experience. Contact us before going further with this application! Our Experience Committee will be happy to talk with you over the phone or meet with you and brainstorm on how you can have the maximum impact with your Experience at this year's Festival. Contact:
LOOKING OUTSIDE THAT BOX!
Importantly, we invite applications in any domain/discipline: arts, technology, business, education, culinary, retail, medical, sports, environment, ranching, gardening/farming, etc. We encourage inventions devised in your garage, or new processes for doing things.
CRITERIA (please read, every festival has some!) ...
The following Selection Criteria will be used to evaluate Experience applications. The criteria are meant to give guidance. Your proposal should clearly describe how it meets each criteria:
1. The proposed Experience is innovative and/or imaginative with a “Wow” factor for Festival attendees.
2. The Experience is engaging, interactive, and/or participative and educational.
3. The Experience is inclusive, sensitive to diversity, and does not judge others with different viewpoints or beliefs.
Criteria 4 and 6 are special criteria and though not required, are highly encouraged.
4. The proposal demonstrates collaboration (e.g., across communities, ages, disciplines, geographic areas, cultures, organizations and/or businesses, etc.).
5. The Experience is “Green."
6. The Experience encourages adults to engage and discover their creativity!
Who / What are you?
Check one. Please see separate forms on website for food vendors, retail sales, or performances.
Interactive Experience / Booth
Retail Experience Booth (intending to sell along with engaging experience)
New Entrepreneur (new concept, less than 3 years in business)
THE FORM ...
ATTENTION ! IF THERE IS A RED STAR NEXT TO THE QUESTION, YOU MUST ANSWER THIS QUESTION IN ORDER FOR YOUR FORM TO SUBMIT. THANKS!
Primary Contact Person
Name - First and Last
Company or Organization Name
If appropriate; individuals welcome
COLLABORATION INFORMATION ...
If this is a collaboration, who is your collaborator? If this is a surprising collaboration, something unusual, the Festival Team may choose to sponsor your application and there will be no participation fee.
What is the name of business/type of business that is collaborating with you and what makes this an interesting collaboration?
Information About the Proposed Experience ... What is the Experience that you will be providing and what will people be doing that come to your booth/table?
max. 250 words
Were you a participant before? In order to be included this year, how does this Experience differ? Keep your experience fresh by making it different.
max. 250 words
Keywords or tags that you want associated with your booth Experience to help drive people to it via social media:
max. 40 characters
You may also email other information pertinent to your Experience to this application or specify digital links for:
Email details to
Address of websites or other links
Scanned samples, examples, photos, etc.
Image of an existing exhibit
Technical paper or presentation on the topic
This Experience will engage ...
This Festival is for ALL AGES. So we can create the right balance of Experiences and appeal to Festival-goers of all ages, tell us who your Experience will be targeting. What age group do you most want to connect with? Will this Experience engage other ages? (You'll explain HOW you will engage each group in the next question.)
Will engage these ages
No focus on these ages
Adults (older than 18)
Children (under 12)
Will engage these ages
No focus on these ages
Adults (older than 18)
Children (under 12)
Participation Fee and Logistics
We will try to accommodate requirements for accepted Experiences. Questions? Ask us!
Approved Experiences require:
1) Signed Contract: We will send you a contract and logistics package
2) Participant Fee:
- $150 for a minimum of 10 x 10 space outside or one of the limited inside spaces (you provide your own tent and tables)
- $100 additional fee if selling items at your booth
- $275 for professional quality tent and table installed for you by tent rental company (includes participant fee)
3) A Certificate of Insurance:
Indicating that Imagination Celebration and the City of Colorado Springs is listed as additional insured on your liability insurance policy must be faxed/emailed by August 30. (This is standard for festivals. Please contact us at
if you have any questions or concerns about this requirement. We can help you figure it out. If you are selected for participation, please carefully read the contract you are provided.)
Which level of participation are you requesting?
$150 - I will provide my own tent and tables, or will have an inside booth
$275 - Festival will install tent and provide 6ft table (this option is available until August 25)
$100 (additional fee if planning to sell items)
I am also interested in being a Sponsor. As a sponsor, you receive benefits and the sponsorship covers your participation fee (What IF...Team will contact you with options)
$100 New Entrepreneur (new concept, less than 3 years in business)
Requirements for your Experience
Check those conditions below you require for your experience. Specify other needs in the next question.
Access to 110v electricity
Access to water (come prepared to transport)
Must be inside (explain in next question)
Must be outside (explain in next question)
Other requirements for your Experience space:
List other requirements. Things to consider: dimensions and shape of space, additional electric plugs (one device per plug), preferred surface if outside, specific safety requirements, high ceiling space, etc. If you require an internet connection, please bring your own hot spot.
Sponsors may enter sponsor code here.
Thank you for applying! Is there anything else you want us to know?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service