Breakthrough Houston Tutor Application
- Students of Breakthrough Houston are offered free tutoring through the Breakthrough Program.
- When we receive a tutor request, we will email you, matching you with the student and opening up the line of communication.
- If you do not hear from us right away about a possible tutoring match, do not grow concerned. We get tutoring requests sporadically and sometimes all at once. We will match you as the requests come in, we will match you according to your subject expertise, and we will match you according to the needs of the student.
- Once matched with a student, it will be your responsibility to follow up with the parent or student needing tutoring. You will set up a time and a place for the tutoring session to occur. The number of tutoring sessions is decided by you, the student, and their family (the most common is once or twice a week for an hour each time). It will also be your responsibility to turn into me a tutor log form (we will provide) each time you meet with the student.
- The best places to meet are normally either at one of your schools, or a neutral location that is in between the two of you. For instance a library might be a good place to tutor your student.
- Wherever you decide to set up the tutoring session, be sure that the parents/guardians know where and when you'll be meeting.
If you have any questions, please contact Morris Nwogwugwu.
Student Services Director
St. John’s School
2401 Claremont Lane
Houston, TX 77019
Office 713-850-0222 ext 433
Fax: 713-850-8151 (please include “ATTN Breakthrough Houston”)
I UNDERSTAND THAT I MUST HAVE MY OWN TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM TUTORING SESSIONS. BREAKTHROUGH HOUSTON WILL NOT PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION FOR ME.
Name of Current School
Current Grade/Year In School
Have you previously worked for or volunteered with Breakthrough?
(if yes, please provide detail)
If you have not previously worked for or volunteered with Breakthrough, how did you hear about the program?
Have you worked for any other mentoring or tutoring programs in the past? If so, for how long and what age students?
Besides English, what other languages do you speak fluently?
What would you consider to be your strongest academic subject areas and what subject(s) would you like to tutor in?
Would you feel comfortable tutoring middle school and/or high school students?
Please list at least two references. Provide us with their names, titles, best contact numbers and emails, and relationship to you (current or previous teacher, professor, boss, personal, etc.)
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of St. John's School.