1. StudyLink Special Needs GrantIf an essential expense has resulted in you not having enough money for food, you may be entitled to a StudyLink Special Needs Grant. The maximum amount you can access in a year, if you are eligible, is $400 for a single person. Contact Studylink to determine eligibility. Phone 0800 889 900
2. WINZ Special Needs Grant This is the same as the Studylink Special Needs Grant but is for non-Studylink clients. Contact Work and Income NZ to determine eligibility. Phone 0800 559 009 www.workandincome.govt.nz
3. WINZ Recoverable Assistance Payment Grant As above. Phone 0800 559 009 www.workandincome.govt.nz
4. Consumer Electricity Fund DCC finances a fund to help Dunedin residents in hardship pay their electricity bill. This is a one-off grant. To apply, contact Dunedin Budget Advisory Service (471 6158), Salvation Army (477 9852) or Anglican Care (477 0801)
5. Bank Overdraft Facility Most banks offer a student overdraft facility at a reasonable interest rate. Speak with your bank about this facility.
6. Family or Partner Assistance Can your family or partner provide some temporary financial assistance?
7. OUSA Student Support Foodbank Students in need can access the foodbank (free) up to three times per semester. Drop into 5 Ethel Benjamin Place, between 9am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday. No appointment needed.