1) SIGN UP: Please sign up to indicate interest in participating in any of the academic competitions by the end of September (except for Science Olympiad Div A, which is Sept 14th).
2) PARENT VOLUNTEERS: Please be aware that teams and competitions are neither run nor funded by the school or the PTA, rather teams (and some competitions) are run and funded by parents and coaches (i.e., parent volunteers) at the school. As such, it is the parents and coaches who coordinate and run the individual teams or competitions, not the school, PTA, or the academic competition coordinator. Please note: All Coordinators and Coaches must fill out a Coach Contact Form (http://bit.ly/2Pdh43F) in order to perform under the auspices of the Mantua PTA and Mantua Elementary School. If this form is not filled out, you cannot use the Mantua facilities. Please contact email@example.com for this form.
3) TEAM COMPETITIONS: Additionally, a number of the competitions are team competitions—you will be notified by Mid-October of other families interested in forming a team. Teams will require at least one parent volunteer per team.
4) AGE APPROPRIATENESS: Please note the age guidelines associated with some of the competitions. It is imperative that you respect these guidelines to ensure that your child is challenged appropriately for both their maturity and ability. If your child does not meet the age requirements, they WILL NOT be permitted to participate.
5) COSTS: Please be aware that these teams are RUN and FUNDED by parent volunteers and the families involved. Neither the school nor the PTA run or provide funding for the competitions, tests, or team expenses. Many of the competitions cost $10-45 for participation/expenses, but a few (like FLL) can run in excess of $100 per participant. Typically, the coordinator or coach will split the costs for team registration, materials, t-shirts, and other expenses among the team members. Thus, it is important to pay your fair share promptly to ensure coordinators and coaches are reimbursed for their expenses.
If you need further information about any of these competitions, please use the links on: http://mantuapta.org/programs.html.