* Professional growth seminars for teachers and credential students: school-site workshops, summer institutes, district in-service training, field trips, methods classes;
* University Student-K/12 Student Partnering: field trips, tutoring, presentations, classroom support;
* Developing and distributing educational materials: California Atlas, geographic literature, map skills packets, classroom exercises, thematic maps;
* Promoting geographic awareness and literacy among the general public: newspaper inserts, editorials, national park handouts, "Family Geography Challenge", and WEB awareness, and;
* Advocating structural changes at local and state levels to institutionalize geographic education across the curriculum.
The CGA partners with the California Subject Matter Projects, GLOBE, and various National Geographic initiatives (e.g., Sustainable Seas, Conservation). The heart of the alliance is Teacher Consultants-professional teachers with specialized training in geographic education who promote geography among their colleagues, their students, and the public.
Membership is FREE. Members receive monthly e-newletters and occasional email bulletins and a welcome packet containing maps and opportunities to get involved in the California Geographic Alliance.