Saint Rafka Church Scholarship Application 2022
The St. Rafka Church Scholarship was established in 2018 with contributions from members of the parish to support post-secondary educational opportunities for our youth. The scholarship may be awarded to deserving graduating high school seniors who are current, attending, and active members of St. Rafka Maronite Catholic Church in Livonia, MI.
The scholarship is awarded to seniors who have been attending MYO meetings regularly, attending Liturgy, and volunteering at different fundraising events. Our high school seniors faced some unique and challenging circumstances during their high school years because of the coronavirus pandemic which made meeting some of these criteria difficult during the past four years. Therefore, some criteria have been modified accordingly.
Our scholarship this year will provide an award in the total amount of $1,000 per student, awarded in August 2022. In order to receive the award, the criteria below must be met. All graduating high school students enrolled in a college, university, or vocational school are invited to apply. Scholarships will be applied to the cost of undergraduate tuition, fees, room, board, and other college/vocational school expenses. The scholarship may only be awarded one time for each student.
To receive consideration, applicants must:
• Be current, regularly attending members of St. Rafka Church (Must be a member for at least three years. If the applicant is new to Saint Rafka, a partial scholarship may be granted at the discretion of the scholarship committee, as long as the applicant satisfies all other criteria/requirements).
• Be able to demonstrate active participation in activities that were made available to them either in-person or virtual from 2019 - 2022. These activities include: Maronite Youth Organization (MYO) meetings, social events, spiritual & liturgical gatherings, fundraisers, and more.
• Be able to demonstrate participation in service opportunities both at St. Rafka Church and within the surrounding community from 2019 - 2022.
• Express a commitment to learning by being enrolled in a vocational certificate program or an accredited 2-year, or 4-year degree program from a college or university.
• Have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a most recent grade transcript.
The online application is available on the St. Rafka Church website and in the Church Bulletin during the application period (May 29th - June 30th, 2022). Notifications will be sent prior to the open date and prior to the last week of the closing date of the application period. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all required documents are turned in by the deadline.
The following items must be submitted:
• Online application completed in full
• Grade transcript through the first semester of 12th grade, or full transcript if available.
The application and all supplemental materials must be received by June 30, 2022 in order to receive consideration. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Scholarship Committee (comprised of representatives from the MYO Leadership Team, Finance Council, and Parish Council) in collaboration with the Pastor will select recipients. The committee reserves the right to rescind an award, should a recipient’s circumstances change, such as failure to graduate from high school or failure to enroll at an accredited institution. The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to withhold the award in the event that no applicants are deemed to meet the qualifications.
Once the recipients have been selected, the check will be issued to the student recipient, and will be mailed to the recipient’s home address for the student to deliver to the college’s financial aid office. Check processing requires approximately two weeks.
MANAGEMENT OF FUND:
The St. Rafka Church Scholarship is administered through the St. Rafka Church Scholarship Account. As the fund grows, the number and dollar amount of scholarships may be increased. Contributions from the public may be made to the fund at any time. Gifts should be clearly designated for the St. Rafka Church Scholarship and mailed directly to the church.