Once you are in the reef, just add 15-20min dedicated to applying this method and form which will provide us with a lot of information from many different sites:
- do a 5min timed swim and observe the reef
- look at all the hard corals that can be seen and note their growth shape
(graphic shown below)
- estimate % of corals bleached in the area that you cover in 5min and record
severity of bleaching (categories shown below)
- if you have an underwater camera: take 2-3 general images from the reef area,
plus 10 or more vertical images 1m above substrate, separated by 2 or more meters
- if possible repeat the survey 4-5 times by moving along your reef
- fill out this form and submit your images for each survey
- if you can't fill out everything, don't worry and continue providing us
with the information you do have!
Thank you for assisting our regional coral bleaching reporting efforts!
This simplified web-form has been set up to assist non-specialists in basic reporting of coral bleaching observations in the WIO. All data will be submitted to the global bleaching form supported by the NOAA Coral Reef Watch programme, summarized and made accessible on a WIO regional database under development.
For more information, please go to: