1. My name is Justin Otto. I am currently pursuing my Counselor Education education specialist (Ed.S.) degree at Georgia Southern University. I am conducting an anonymous, online, research study comparing self-perception of personality between individuals who identify as LGB (lesbian, gay, and bisexual) and members who identify as heterosexual.
2. Purpose of the Study: The purpose of this research is to analyze quantifiable data concerning introspection of LGB members compared to heterosexuals using the Big-Five Inventory.
3. Procedures: Participants involved in the study will be asked to fill out the BFI Inventory, including general information (gender, age, etc.). Upon completion of said inventory, the participant will be have finished their participation.
4. Discomforts and Risks: Due to the participants retaining anonymity throughout the study, the risk within should be minimal.
5. Benefits: There are no benefits to study participation.
6. Duration/Time Required: The inventory should take approximately 5-10 minutes.
7. Confidentiality: Due to the anonymous nature of the study, no one involved in the study will know the identity of the participants. Therefore, confidentiality should not be compromised throughout any part of the research.
8. Right to Ask Questions: Participants have the right to ask questions and have those questions answered. If you have questions about this study, please contact the researcher named above or the researcher’s faculty advisor, whose contact information is located at the end of the informed consent. For questions concerning your rights as a research participant, contact Georgia Southern University Office of Research Services and Sponsored Programs at 912-478-0843.
9. Voluntary Participation: Participation in this study is completely voluntary and therefore, participants are not required to fill out or complete any forms or material that they do not desire. Participants can terminate their participation at any point in time if they do decide to participate.
10. Penalty: There is no penalty for deciding not to participate in the study. Participants may decide at any time they don’t want to participate further and may withdraw without penalty or retribution.
11. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to consent to participate in this research study. If you consent to participate in this research study and to the terms above, please sign the form with your initials as an electronic signature and indicate the date below
You will be given a copy of this consent form to keep for your records. This project has been reviewed and approved by the GSU Institutional Review Board under tracking number H13358.
Title: Sexual Orientation and the Big Five Personality Traits: A Look at the Differences in Self-Perception
Principal Investigator: Justin Otto; email@example.com; (405)328-0261
Other Investigator(s): Dr. Brenda Callahan; firstname.lastname@example.org; (912)478-5307
Dr. Carrie Bailey; email@example.com; (912)478-5687
Faculty Advisor: Dr. James Bergin; firstname.lastname@example.org; (912)478-0873
TO INDICATE MY AGREEMENT IN THE RESEARCH STUDY DESCRIBED ABOVE, I CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE STUDY BY LEAVING MY ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE USING MY INITIALS IN THE INDICATED BOX BELOW.