What volunteer opportunities are available?===================================
* Monthly mangrove walks for families at Pulau UbinHelp out at this leisurely walk for families and ordinary people. Led by experienced naturalists, scientists and Ubin villagers. Help families see and learn more about mangroves, wildlife and heritage of Pulau Ubin. By spotting things, sharing what you know, encouraging participants to share what they know, and making sure everyone has a fun time.
* Community engagementIt is important to R.U.M. that the community who live on Ubin and who love Ubin have a part to play in mangrove restoration.
On Ubin: Help to reach out about R.U.M. to Ubin villagers, by visiting them, sharing our plans and progress and documenting their stories and memories of Ubin mangroves in the past. Our hope is not to just restore Ubin mangroves ecologically and biologically, but also their social and cultural role and value to the Ubin community on Ubin and beyond.
Beyond Ubin: Help to reach out to the general public about R.U.M. during public exhibitions, talks and other outreach activities held on the mainland. Have fun with mangrove mud, mangrove games for kids and more!
* Mangrove clean up at Pulau UbinHelp prepare the mangroves for natural restoration by identifying and removing marine trash such as litter, abandoned nets, large trash.
* Biodiversity Surveys at Pulau UbinJoin experienced naturalists and scientist to find out more about the flora and fauna in the abandoned aquaculture ponds, and in nearby intact mangroves. Learn about the natural mangrove habitat and conditions that could influence mangrove growth.
* Mapping Surveys at Pulau UbinGet a taste of doing mapping surveys in mangrove forest/mud flat. Assist fieldwork researchers in measuring surface elevation using surveying equipment. Learn about the natural mangrove habitat and conditions that could influence mangrove growth.
Who can volunteer for R.U.M.?* Everyone is welcome to help out! * Prior experience or knowledge are not required.* There will be safety briefings before each activity* Age requirement: 19 and above
Minimum fitness:* Must be able to walk 3km.* Must be able to stay outdoors under the sun for a minimum of 2 hours.* Must be comfortable working in a mangrove environment (mud, insects).
What will be provided?==================* Transport will be provided from the UBIN JETTY to the field site.* But you must make your own way to and from Pulau Ubin. More on how to get to Pulau Ubin.http://rum-initiative.blogspot.sg/p/what-is-pulau-ubin-pulau-ubin-is.html
What do I need to prepare?======================You are expected to make your own preparations for a day working outdoors in the mangroves. Please refer to this link on field preps for the things to note and bring. http://rum-initiative.blogspot.sg/p/field-prep.html
What can I expect?===============* Experience and learn more about Ubin, its people, heritage and mangroves and wildlife.* Meet like-minded volunteers.* Have fun!
What happens after I register to volunteer?===================================Your email will then be added to the R.U.M. yahoo groups mailing list so that you can be updated on volunteer opportunities and sign up for them. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RestoreUbinMangroves/info
MORE details about volunteering with R.U.M. here http://rum-initiative.blogspot.sg/p/volunteer.html
Questions and concerns?=====================Do email Ria Tan email@example.com