CONTEST OFFICIALLY OPENS AUGUST 15
Please join us as CVWO prepares to celebrate the 1 Millionth hawk to pass the Kiptopeke Hawkwatch! The Hawkwatch began in 1977 with volunteers and since 1995 the Observatory has hired seasonal staff to count and provide education to the public.
Based on our recent seasonal average of more than 18,000 sightings, the event should occur in fall 2022. The Hawkwatch will start in late August and it typically ends on November 30. We only need 16,790 to reach our goal! Yes, there are other sites, especially in the tropics, that see many more birds, but what a great opportunity to publicly say thank you to Kiptopeke State Park, Hawk Migration Association of North America, Dunkadoo and our many dedicated volunteers and seasonal staff all while highlighting migration and conservation.
To celebrate, CVWO is hosting the One Million Hawks Contest to predict the date and exact time that the 1 Millionth hawk will pass the hawkwatch platform at Kiptopeke Hawkwatch. The contest includes fantastic PRIZES. Entries that are closest to the exact time will win from the generous prizes supplied and donated by partners and supporters!
To enter, use this form OR email your entry to email@example.com between August 15 and September 15
The rules are simple:
- 1 prediction per person sent via email or entry form
- Entry must include name, address and phone number
- If you are under 18, give the name and contact information of a parent or guardian
- No participation is allowed by CVWO Board members, advisors or staff
- Zeiss binoculars from Wild Birds Unlimited of Williamsburg and their Zeiss representative
- Hawk artwork and photos from Anna Stunkel, Karl Bardon, Jim Easton, Deborah Humphries and Steve Thornhill
- Hat, binocular strap and laminated hawk silhouettes from Hawk Migration Association of North America
- Membership or renewal package from American Birding Association
- Gift certificate to Buteo Books from Brian Taber
- Gift certificate from Backyard Birder of Williamsburg
- T-shirts from the Finch Research Network
- Hats, t-shirts and more from Coastal Virginia Wildlife Observatory
- And…what will we give to the lucky person who happens to be the first to see the 1 Millionth at
Good luck everyone!