We sincerely appreciate your interest in the International Baccalaureate Program at Woodrow Wilson High School. The IB Diploma Program is a comprehensive, rigorous program of advanced studies that demands the best from motivated students. The curriculum covers a wide range of academic subjects leading to examinations for students in grade 12. The program is a college-preparatory, liberal arts education that is interdisciplinary, student-centered, and internationally minded. Since its founding, the IB Diploma has become a symbol of academic integrity and intellectual promise, recognized by leading universities in the U.S. and throughout the world.
Successful IB students will:
• Be motivated. Parents and students should be aware that a critical element for success in Pre-IB and IB courses is the student’s desire to grow intellectually and succeed. The motivation must originate within the student and be supported by the parents.
• Be able to manage their time. Students and parents must be willing to make the sometimes difficult time management decisions that will maximize the student’s performance in advanced classes.
• Be proficient readers. Most IB courses require intensive reading at increasingly challenging comprehension levels. Students and parents should realize that advanced reading abilities will be essential to success in the program.
• Be proficient writers. Students in IB courses are required to regularly demonstrate and improve their writing skills. Across the core areas, IB assessments generally require that a student be able to express, clearly and academically, their learning in written form. Further, this assessment method is prevalent in collegiate coursework, which is the future academic path of IB students. • Be critical thinkers. Much of the IB curriculum requires investigative and discovery learning. Analytical and critical thinking skills are essential.
• Be people of character. The IB program allows for the full development of a student by focusing on 10 expected attributes within the Learner Profile. This holistic approach to education allows students and teachers to focus on personal development as well as academic development.
• Understand that they are making a 4 year commitment. Acceptance into the WWHS IB program means that we are committing staff and resources to offer a world class education in conjunction with all the benefits of a comprehensive high school. The IB Diploma is a highly coveted achievement and space in the program is limited. We are looking to identify the students most focused on attaining the goal an IB Diploma.
Again, we thank you for your interest and we look forward to receiving your application for admission to Woodrow Wilson High School’s International Baccalaureate program.
Kelly Ritchie, Ph.D.CoordinatorInternational Baccalaureate Diploma ProgramWoodrow Wilson High School