OVERVIEW:The intern will support the KALW newsroom with social media, online publishing, audience engagement and content marketing.
DUTIES: * identifying prospects (both individuals and organizations) that would be interested in a given story and promoting that story to their networks
* R&D of digital assets in support of a story, including social-media posts, email newsletters, galleries and news-blog entries
* If the basic needs of the internship can be addressed, the intern will also be encouraged to develop original or supporting reporting using solely digital means (not for broadcasts), including live-tweeting of events and breaking news, as well as original news blogs and aggregation items.
ACTIVITIES:KALW News produces up to three or more stories for broadcast on its afternoon news program, Crosscurrents. The Social Media / Digital Intern will support these stories in three ways:
* Each story (or at minimum the day's lead story) must be propagated through social media across platforms (chiefly Facebook and Twitter, though there’s room to expand on that; we are interested in exploring referral opportunities via Reddit, Instagram and others)
* Each story should also be forwarded via email to individuals and organizations interested in the story's topic, with a request to share that story w/ their network via email or social-media posting and tagging.
* The intern will be a critical part of the design, development, testing and deployment team for a new set of email newsletters and program microsites.
* The intern will also participate in the development, deployment and testing of content-marketing tools using SaaS offerings such as Mailchimp, Buffer, CrowdTangle, Google Analytics, Chartbeat and tools from NPR Digital Services.
* In addition to the foregoing, the intern will also have the opportunity to propose and develop original, digital-only content for the site, including news blogs and aggregation projects, galleries, and live tweeting of events and breaking news.
TO APPLY: Please respond to the following questions in 30 words or less.