Practice 1- CXC CSEC English A exam Paper 1
Section 1. Directions: Read the following sentences carefully and select the word which best defines the word in inverted commas.
1. His neighbor’s 'superficial' remarks trivialized their argument over the line separating their properties and infuriated Winston.
2. When Kanisha refused to lie to her parents about where she was spending the night, she was 'ostracized' by her usually loyal friends, who had never ignored her before.
3. Meena's fashion sense was usually described as flamboyant, but on the night of the party, her outfit was uncharacteristically 'demure'.
4. Mr. Rincon was so 'gullible' he believed every outlandish claim the salesman made about his product.
5. You cannot become a certified mechanic without completing the 'prerequisite' vocational training.
6. The cricket player’s malice toward the referee was seen in his 'spiteful' remarks to the sports reporters.
7. Carlos was aware of his susceptibility to gum disease and is 'diligent' about flossing his teeth.
8. As soon as the results of the election were released to the media, the television station was 'inundated' with angry calls.
9. The IT department enthusiastically hired Ms. Archibald because she was 'proficient' in the development of Android apps.
10. Detective Basheer based his conclusion on what he 'inferred' from the evidence, not on what he actually observed himself.
11. Since the villagers were so dissatisfied with the poor water quality, various methods to 'alleviate' the situation were debated.
12. The community group presented its 'ultimatum' at the city council meeting: Repave the main roads or prepare for daily protests.
A. non-negotiable demand
B. earnest plea
C. formal petition
D. solemn promise
13. Although the teacher’s lectures were described as so 'monotonous' that they regularly put students to sleep, he refused to change them.
14. The paisley curtains Mrs. Khan put up in her house 20 years ago were 'outmoded'.
D. washed out
15. Although Omowale is too inexperienced for the lead engineer position, he is a willful young man and 'obdurately' refuses to change his application.
16. After several small wildfires near the village, the council decided to 'augment' the bye-laws for agricultural land clearing.
17. When people heard that timid Jameel had decided to go up for elections, they were 'incredulous'.
18. Even though the tutor read his student's essay three or four times, he still found the rambling passages 'ambiguous'.
19. The Demerara Police Department’s policy of aggressively recruiting women officers is unique in the whole country.
20. Excited about winning the award, Ayodele walked up to the podium and delivered an 'animated' acceptance speech.
Page 1 of 2
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service