An Open Letter to Pittsburgh Area Landlords: RE: Mortgage Deferral and Other Assistance to Landlord to Help Protect Tenants from Eviction
Dear Pittsburgh Area Landlords:
We are all living, together, through an unprecedented time of crisis. The COVID-19 pandemic has triggered an unprecedented health emergency, requiring all Pittsburgh area residents to shelter in place for the foreseeable future. The outbreak has ignited an unprecedented financial crisis, throwing thousands of area residents into sudden unemployment. The consequences of these crises will unfold over time.
Surviving this period will depend, in part, upon our ability to stay safely in our homes, during the outbreak and once the virus abates.
We, the undersigned, sincerely urge you to take every measure to stay safe in your homes and to ensure that your tenants can stay safely in their homes, including by signing up for mortgage deferral or forbearance with your lender(s) if your tenant(s) cannot pay their rent, and by offering debt forgiveness or affordable repayment plans to any such tenants.
The following Pittsburgh area commercial lenders are offering mortgage forbearance or deferral (and other assistance) at this time, to help ensure that renters who have lost income due to COVID-19 can remain in their homes, both now or into the future:
Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania
First Commonwealth Bank
First National Bank
Northwest Savings Bank
S & T Bank
Many national lenders, as well as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, have implemented similar programs.
During this unprecedented time of crisis, please check in with your tenants, and if they need help due to loss of income, please contact your lender(s) to take advantage of assistance that is available to help preserve their tenancies. On behalf of all renters in our region, we thank you in advance for your willingness to step up during these trying times.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions at
Jamil Bey, PhD
Director of UrbanKind Institute
Coordinator for the All-In-Pittsburgh initiative
This effort is endorsed by the following (alphabetized by organization):
1. Jasiri X - 1Hood Media
2. Rick Bigelow - 2Tenths Foundation
3. Aaron Wade - A’s Vision
4. Kyle Webster - ACTION-Housing, Inc.
5. Malik Bankston – All-In-Pittsburgh
6. Yael Silk - Arts Ed Collaborative
7. Jennifer Cash Wade - Beltzhoover Consensus Group
8. Blythe Stevens - Beltzhoover Consensus Group
9. The Black Environmental Collective
10. Tim Stevens - Black Political Empowerment Project (B-PEP)
11. Dr. Cheryl Hall-Russell - Black Women Wise Women, LLC (BW3)
12. Rochelle Jackson - Black Women's Policy Agenda
13. Christina Howell - Bloomfield Development Corporation
14. Rick Swartz - Bloomfield Garfield Corporation
15. Michael Quigley - Brothers and Sisters Emerging (BASE)
16. Anne M. Gill, Ph.D. - Center for Parents and Children, University of Pittsburgh
17. Ed Nusser - City of Bridges Community Land Trust
18. Becky Gloninger - Choice Neighborhoods Initiative
19. Marita Garrett - Civically, Inc.
20. Teireik Williams - CREATE Lab
21. Shanel Divito - Department of Human Services
22. Christian James Hughes - Drafting Dreams
23. Sharon Yeager - Effective Writing
24. Joanna Deming - Fineview & Perry Hilltop Citizens Councils
25. Felecia Bute - FMB& Associates
26. Rich Overmoyer - Fourth Economy
27. Jerry R. Paytas, Ph.D. - Fourth Economy
28. Joann Monroe - Garfield Jubilee Association
29. Jay Ting Walker - Green Party of Allegheny County
30. Shequaya Bailey - Grounded Strategies
31. Ariam Ford-Graver - Grounded Strategies
32. Eva Barinas - Grow Pittsburgh
33. Jake Seltman - Grow Pittsburgh
34. Sonya Tilghman - Hazelwood Initiative, Inc.
35. Gene Boyer III & Jeffrey Stein - HB Development LLC
36. Jada Shirriel - Healthy Start, Inc.
37. Heather Hopson - Single Mom Defined (Parent Support Group)
38. Pamela Collier - HELP Initiative
39. Carol Hardeman - Hill District Consensus Group
40. Neashia Johnson - Hill District Consensus Group
41. Aaron Sukenik - Hilltop Alliance
42. Megan Winters - Housing Opportunity Fund
43. Jackie Smith - Human RIghts City Alliance
44. Ken Regal - Just Harvest: A Center for Action Against Hunger
45. Sharlee Ellison - Knoxville Community Council
46. Ilyssa Manspeizer, Ph.D. - Landforce
47. Lauren Connelly - Lawrenceville Corporation
48. Robert Ware - MOYO
49. Scott Wolovich - New Sun Rising
50. Northside Community Development Fund
51. Kate Brennan -NurturePA
52. Wanda Wilson - Oakland Planning & Development Corp.
53. Lina Dostilio - Office of Community & Governmental Relations, University of Pittsburgh
54. Joshua Pollard - Omicelo
55. Dani Wilson - Our Clubhouse
56. Maida Milone - Pennsylvanians for Modern Courts
57. Lisa Gonzalez – Pittsburghers For Public Transit
58. A. Odell Richardson - Pittsburgh Community Services, Inc
59. Pittsburgh Food Policy Council
60. Jackie Smith - Pittsburgh Human Rights City Alliance
61. Ronell Guy - Pittsburgh Union of Regional Renters - PURR
62. Zac Littleberry - PittsburghHousing.org
63. Christine Graziano - Plant Five for Life
64. Barbara Talerico - Rail Pollution Protection Pittsburgh (RP3)
65. Glenn Olcerst - Rail Pollution Protection Pittsburgh (RP3)
66. Darnell L. Jackson - Real Estate Development Options, LLC
67. Maureen Anderson, Ed.D. - RefocusED
68. Zack Block - Repair the World
69. Rachel Nawrocki - Resource Associates | The Grant Experts
70. Laura Recchie - Root + Branch, Inc.
71. Aweys Mwaliya - Somali Bantu Community Association of Pittsburgh
72. Sharnay Hearn Davis - The #SistersLiftingasWeClimb Network
73. Brian Cohen, Ph.D. - The Documentary Works
74. Fred Brown - The Forbes Funds
75. Ariel Barlow - The Joyful Squatter
76. Chatiqua (Tika) Good - The Pittsburgh Foundation
77. Michael Silva -The Pittsburgh Study
78. Shallegra D Moye - The Pittsburgh Study
79. Shanon Williams - The Wellness Collective
80. Tony Norman, columnist and writer
81. Shannon Wanless - University of Pittsburgh
82. Judith Navratil - University of Pittsburgh
83. Fedrecia Reid - University of Pittsburgh
84. Erricka Hager - University of Pittsburgh - CTSI
85. Marily Nixon - University of Pittsburgh School of Law
86. Tomar Pierson-Brown - University of Pittsburgh School of Law - Health Law Clinic
87. Rachelle H. Haynik - University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work
88. Mary Ohmer - University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work
89. Richard M. Carrington, Sr. -Voices Against Violence
90. Gerrod Winston - Winston Design + Development
91. Michelle Naccarati-Chapkis - Women for a Healthy Environment
92. Sarah Dittoe - YWCA
93. Will Hignett
94. Kirk Holbrook
If you agree with this letter and are willing and authorized to sign on behalf of your organization, please enter your name as it should appear among the signatories.
Please enter the name of your organization as it should appear.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of The UrbanKind Institute.