PLEASE ENSURE YOU MEET THE BELOW CRITERIA BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR SUBMISSION. ENTRIES THAT DO NOT MEET THE BELOW CRITERIA WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED.
1. AGE: Entrants must be 30 years of age or under on 26th November, 2019.
2. LOCATION: For the purpose of this competition the “developing world” is defined as countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) of $20,000 or less. Entrants should be from a country that meets the GNI criteria and reporting from/in that country or, if not in their country of origination, in another country fitting the same GNI criteria. To find out if your country qualifies, please see: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD
3. PORTFOLIO: Each entrant should submit a portfolio of THREE published or broadcast pieces of work produced in the 12 months preceding 16th August, 2019 (the 12 months prior to the deadline for submissions). The entries can be in any format: print, audio, video, multimedia, or a combination of all four. Applicants can provide URL links to their stories online. If necessary, they can use a file-transfer application such as Google Drive for scans or PDFs of print articles, and for large audio or video files. A written statement of no more than 200 words per story giving a summary of the content and any impact it had on public debate in the country of publication or broadcast, should also be submitted.
4. LANGUAGE: Entries can be in any language but should be accompanied by a verbatim English-language translation.
5. VERIFICATION: Entries should be accompanied by a letter from the applicant’s current editor, on headed company notepaper verifying that it is the published work of the entrant. Where an entrant is freelance, or self-employed, verification can be provided by an editor from one of the publications/websites/broadcasters where the work appeared, or by a journalism academic familiar with the work of the entrant.
*A VERIFICATION LETTER MUST BE SUPPLIED WITH YOUR SUBMISSION. THIS CAN BE SHARED WITH US VIA A LINK TO DROPBOX, GOOGLE DRIVE OR SIMILAR. ALTERNATIVELY, PLEASE SEND BY EMAIL TO AWARDFPA@THOMSONFOUNDATION.ORG WITH YOUR NAME CLEARLY MARKED IN THE SUBJECT LINE. PLEASE NOTE, WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT VERIFICATION LETTERS VIA EMAIL, EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD BE PROVIDED USING THE ONLINE ENTRY FORM.
6. COLLABORATION: Entrants should provide an explanation of any collaboration undertaken with colleagues or external organisations on the stories that they have submitted.
7. PLAGIARISM: Checks will be made for plagiarism and any entrant found to have submitted work which is not their own will be automatically disqualified.
For more information about the competition, please visit: www.thomsonfoundation.org/competitions/young-journalist/
For any queries relating to your Young Journalist Award entry, please email: email@example.com
NOTE: Questions marked below with an * are mandatory.