2020 PALS Award
Parents as Library Supporters
This award recognizes outstanding collaboration between a parent/teacher organization and the school library.
DESCRIPTION: The Massachusetts School Library Association recognizes the importance of parent/community organization support for the school library. MSLA honors these exemplary partnerships with this award.
CRITERIA / ELIGIBILITY: Recipients may be any parent/teacher group working within a school district, including PTAs, PTOs, or other parent/teacher community groups with similar missions. In any given year, multiple groups may be recognized, but recipients may not be chosen each year. Entries are judged by a panel of school librarians.
NOMINATION PROCESS: This nomination must be made by a member of MSLA. Complete the online form, including a description of the collaboration. Supply detail about the goal, the program itself, and the results of the collaboration. The nomination must include these supporting letters. E-mail all supporting documents by the deadline to
* A letter from the principal, superintendent, or other administrator in support of the application that describes the project and the collaboration between the parent/teacher organization and the school library.
* A letter from the parent/teacher organization highlighting parental involvement in the project.
EXAMPLES of eligible collaboration efforts may include but are not limited to:
* Funding materials and programs for the library
* Innovative programming for students (one book/one school, reading incentives)
* Programs encouraging parents to read with children, or other family literacy projects
* Public relations and media coverage of library events and services
* Continuing education stipends and scholarships for library staff members
* Engaging businesses, organizations, colleges, or public libraries in school library activities
AWARD PRESENTATION: Recipient(s) receive a certificate at the MSLA Conference. The Awards Committee will notify administrators and send press releases to state and local newspapers.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The MSLA member will write an article for the MSLA Forum (coordinated with the MSLA Forum editors).
DUE DATE: January 15, 2020
MSLA member Email
Member Contact info
Name, School, Address, Telephone Number
Parent/Teacher Organization Representative Contact Information
Name, Address, Email, Telephone Number, Webpage or Facebook if applicable
School Administrator Contact Information
Name, School, Title, Address, Email, Telephone Number
Describe the collaboration
(400-700 words) Please include detail about the goal, the program itself, and the results of the collaboration.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Massachusetts School Library Association.