VDM Volunteer Application
The Virginia Discovery Museum is always looking for caring and enthusiastic volunteers, ages 13 and older, to help enrich the lives of children in our community. We depend on more than 300 volunteers each year who generously donate their time to help the Museum run smoothly.
Front Desk Volunteer: This position is for volunteers 18+ and requires a 2-3 hour commitment each week. Your responsibilities include:
- Greet Visitors (you are the first person they interact with).
- Collect admission fees, Sign up new members, Collect program fees.
- Provide information about the museum.
- Answer the telephone and direct calls to museum staff.
- *Requires season-long commitment.
Gallery Volunteer: This position requires a 2.5+ hour commitment each week. Your responsibilities include:
- Encourage museum visitors to use the exhibits and enjoy the museum. Interact with children and adults.
- Help museum staff maintain a safe and attractive environment, e.g. look for potentially unsafe conditions and tidy up after the children by returning items to their appropriate places.
- Assist with various programs, classes and special events at the museum and in the community.
If you have any other special skills to contribute towards creating a wonderful Museum experience for our visitors, please let us know. We look forward to working with you!