Designregio Kortrijk provides for the selected Designers in Residence Kortrijk:
- accommodation- monthly fee (400 €/month)- usage of Budalab Open Makerspace & Bolwerk Workspace- experts in several domains and support of Designregio Kortrijk- one-time travel expenses
Designregio Kortrijk invites 3 young designers to develop an experimental concept for The Future of Domesticity, through confrontation between citizens, society, entrepreneurs and education in regions such as Kortrijk.
«Domesticity (Cambridge dictionary)noun [ U ] UK /ˌdəʊ.mesˈtɪs.ə.ti/ US /ˌdoʊ.mesˈtɪs.ə.t̬i/life at home taking care of your house and family»
The compactness of this region is both a benefit and a challenge.During the Kortrijk Creativity Week from 23 - 27 October 2019 the Designers in Residence Kortrijk will get the opportunity to show their research and on-going progress to the audience.
2. As part of your research, during the residency, you will get into a dialogue with several regional projects from an international perspective as design experts: - you will challenge and influence, - you will connect people and places, - you will gather and disseminate.
Designers in Residence Kortrijk is an initiative of Designregio Kortrijk, a region part of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) that breaths design thinking, visible through its design education, creative making industry, international events and inspiring public space.
We are a joint venture of 5 regional organizations, with whom you will work closely together. This will allow you as a designer to connect with the local community (city of Kortrijk), local producers and maker industry (Voka West-Flanders & Interieur Foundation), urban planners and developers (Leiedal) and innovative education (Howest). At the same time, the Buda Island is the focal point for a fascinating community of creative individuals, companies, cultural organizations, creative teaching as well as end-users. The aim is to connect with the local maker industry, largely embedded in the region and local producers in a contemporary way.
- The Budafabriek (https://www.dezeen.com/2013/03/24/buda-art-centre-by-51n4e/), Budalab Open Makerspace (https://www.budalab.be) & Bolwerk (http://www.bolwerk.be/) are the inspirational locations in Kortrijk (Belgium) where you will create, work and live.
- The Kortrijk region (Belgium) is a strong player in the economically blooming largest European inter-regional Eurometropolis (http://www.eurometropolis.eu) and can be exemplified by large companies such as Barco (http://barco.com) , Bekaert (http://www.bekaert.com/), Unilin (http://www.unilin.com), Vandewiele (http://www.vandewiele.com), as well as a large number of family owned SME’s with an international outlook such as Skyline (https://skyline.be), Delta Light (https://www.deltalight.com), Renson (http://www.renson.be), Casalis (http://www.casalis.be), Obumex (http://www.obumex.be), Curana (http://www.curana.com/) and many more.
- University College HOWEST (http://www.howest.be) & their Industrial Design Center is an open knowledge center and a communication platform between the industry and the education, research and development programs of the Howest and Ghent University in Kortrijk. Digital Arts & Entertainment and Devine - Digital Design and Development are, amongst others, two of their state of the art education programs.
1. recently graduated (minimum level: master)2. team player3. manual skills (conceptual, handy, production, fabrication)4. an international outlook
Check our general terms and conditionshttp://designregio-kortrijk.be/inspireren/designers-residence-kortrijk-terms-and-conditions/
!!! Completed applications must be submitted to Designregio Kortrijk before Friday 21 June 2019, 9:00 CET. Applications received after this deadline will not be accepted.