DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Camper Care: Supervise a group of campers for the duration of each camp session.
- Facilitate Activities: Lead informal science activities with assigned camper groups, highlighting key science concepts at an appropriate level for the campers.
- Field Trips: Provide leadership and assist in delivering content during field trips.
- After-Camp Care: Supervise campers who stay for after-camp care, at least two days per week.
- Mentor Counselors-in-Training: Provide leadership and guidance for middle school students in the Counselor–in- Training program.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
Required:• Some college education, with a strong background in science• Experience facilitating programs with children• Excellent communication skills, especially in science content• Strong organizer (of time, self/others)• Ability to problem solve, give and take direction, work collaboratively, and lead children, independently when appropriate• Creative, flexible, resourceful, and willing to learn new things• Able to work, prioritize, and focus amid frequent interruptions• Strong sense of professionalism, maturity, and punctuality• First Aid certification (valid through August 2019, and must be completed by June 19, 2019)• Reliable transportation
Preferred: • Classroom teaching experience• Coursework in astronomy, engineering, earth science and/or life science• Experience motivating children with diverse learning styles• Experience with summer camps• Experience in delivering inquiry-based and/or hands-on science activities and/or curriculum
Interactive museum setting with frequent daytrips and outdoor activities. Must work well in a team setting. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50-lbs of educational materials, tables, and chairs; walk up to 3 miles; and stand for prolonged periods of time.
Seasonal full time position with an anticipated start date of June 26, 2019. Camp runs between July 1st and August 30th, from 8:00am to 4:00 pm each day with after camp care extending until 5:00pm. Counselors are expected to work from 8:00am to 4:00pm three times a week and 8:00am to 5:00pm twice a week. Term commitment is variable with a minimum of 7 weeks. Schedule will be negotiated at time of hire.
$12.50/hour. This is a full-time seasonal position; Sciencenter benefits are NOT provided.
The Sciencenter is an Equal Opportunity Employer.