Application Process and Timeline
1. All requests are processed first-come, first-served and are based on the space (seat) available on an existing bus route.
NOTE: Due to the uncertainty of ridership the majority of Space Available applications will not be processed until several weeks of ridership data has been obtained.
2. Transportation Services will begin accepting applications for the upcoming school year on July 1.
NOTE: There is no guarantee that your student will be approved for a Space Available seat.
3. Submit a separate application for each student.
4. Students must live within a safe walking distance of the bus stop location OR have an alternate residence with a valid address and phone number that is within a safe walking distance of the stop location in case the parent or designee is not available at the stop to pick up the student.
5. Once an application has been processed, the parent will be contacted at the email provided with either an approval or disapproval of the application. Staff members appreciate your patience as there are many applications to process, and they process them as quickly as possible.
6. State law does not allow students to ride a bus until their application is approved and the student is assigned to a specific bus route within the LPS Transportation routing software. Colorado Code of Regulations, 1-301-26, 4204-R-222.01 Authorized Passengers. "No one except school personnel and students regularly assigned to a school transportation vehicle for a particular route and schedule may ride in such vehicle, unless he or she has received prior authorization from the appropriate district/service provider administrator or designee."
7. Transportation Services cannot assign students to a bus where such an assignment would exceed bus capacity. Littleton Public Schools determines bus capacity based on the age group of passengers and the size of the bus.
8. The Space Available Application is good for the current school year. Parents must submit a new application each school year.