Adams Garden Park Arts Initiative, a subsidiary of Milwaukee Environmental Consortium, mission is to join our neighbors in redressing inequalities, restoring community, and renewing the environment through the lens of environmental justice. We aim to achieve these objectives by serving as a catalyst for continued growth and vibrancy in the Lindsay Heights neighborhood and Milwaukee by activating space for educational environmental workshops, community arts programming, and public art.
The AGP Arts Initiative integrates a broad range of activities based on the concept of "urban ecology", a concept that is not solely focused on the natural environment but also on preserving and documenting the experiences of the people who currently live in the neighborhood, as well as those who came before them. We honor and commemorate the knowledge of a community's personal and collective histories as key to its sustainability. Our identity as humans is very much connected to the land we occupy. Striving to understand the urban ecology also lets us focus on this relationship between people and the spaces (historical, natural and environmental) that they inhabit.
Call for Artists
Adams Garden Park Arts Initiative is accepting applications from qualified artist to participate in AGP's inaugural outdoor sculpture exhibition to be held from September 12th, 2022 to May 17th, 2023. Each artist can submit up to two entries for consideration. Submitted enteries can be of existing work or detailed proposals of work that will be completed before the installation date. A selection committee consisting of members of the Lindsay Heights community and the Adams Garden Park advisory board will convene and choose up to three works to be displayed from the submitted applications. Selected artist will receive a $3000 honorarium to help supplement expenses related to the fabrication, installation and deinstallation of their sculpture. Selected artists are responsible for delivering, installing and deinstalling their sculptures in accordance with the timeline established by AGP.
Conditions for Exhibiting Artwork:
● All accepted outdoor sculptures must be reflective of the mission of the Adams Garden Park Art Initiative of sustainability and urban ecology.
● All accepted outdoor sculptures must be capable of withstanding adverse weather conditions and be maintenance free for the duration of the exhibition.
● All accepted outdoor sculptures must be constructed in a manner that does not pose a safety hazard to the general public.
● All accepted sculptures must be capable of being anchored to a concrete pad with ½ anchor
***We have extended the submission deadline for the Adams Garden Park 2022-2023 Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition to Thursday, July 28th, 2022, at 11:59 pm. The dates in bold indicated the changes made.***
Exhibition Schedule and Deadlines
6/3/22 Prospectus made public
7/28/22 Deadline for email submissions 11:59 pm (Late submissions will be reviewed at the discretion of the selection committee)
8/4/22 Email notification to selected artists
8/11/22 Contracts and installation requirements due
9/8–10/22 Installation of selected works/ Artists receive honorarium
9/17/22 Exhibition Reception
5/17/23 Exhibition closes
5/18-23/23 Deinstallation of artwork
Entry Requirements Checklist
- Completed entry form
- High quality digital image of submitted work in jpeg or pdf format with artist name, title, media, dimensions, weight, and date included on the image
- If submitting a proposal include detail drawings or digital renderings of proposed sculpture in jpeg or pdf format. You must also include two example of past work, as evidence of your competency with the medium, in jpeg or pdf format
- Schematic drawing of location of anchor points on sculpture
- Brief statement about the work