* Grants are awarded in amounts up to $800* Projects must be approved by the landowner* Projects on private property must be of value to the community* The application is open from August 1, 2017 - September 1, 2017* Grant awardees will be notified by October 6, 2017* Projects must be completed by June 15, 2018
Keep Oakland Beautiful (KOB) is a community-based and volunteer-run affiliate of Keep America Beautiful. Each fall, we administer our annual Small Grants Program to encourage local community improvement efforts by funding projects that help keep Oakland clean, green, and beautiful. Projects can be for public art, planting, clean-ups, and other beautification projects.
Who Can Apply:
KOB will fund projects that take place within the city of Oakland, California.
Land Owner Authorization:
* City-owned property – Projects on City-owned property must be approved by the City prior to applying for a KOB Small Grant. In many cases, project review and approval will be through the Adopt a Spot program. Visit www.oaklandadoptaspot.org for more information about Oakland Adopt a Spot, including their volunteer guidelines.
* Other public agencies – Other public agencies include the East Bay Regional Park District, Caltrans, Oakland Unified School District, Alameda Flood Control and Water Conservation District. Projects on these lands require appropriate landowner approval prior to submitting your application.
* Private property – Projects on private property must have written approval from the property owner and benefit the community (e.g. community gardens, anti-graffiti murals or projects on the public-facing property of a restaurant or small business). Applications can be submitted by individuals or groups such as Neighborhood Crime Prevention Councils, Neighborhood Watch groups and other neighborhood volunteer / community groups. Projects must be consistent with the KOB mission (above in blue).
How to Apply:
* Complete and submit the Grant Application Form online or fill out below* We encourage you to submit photographs that feature your intended project, please include captions explaining the images. Printed pictures will not be returned and will become the property of Keep Oakland Beautiful.
Past Project Examples:
* Park, neighborhood and other community area makeovers * Murals / Graffiti removal* Litter container mosaics* Installation and improvement of community gardens* Landscaping projects such as shrub and flower plantings, mulch installation, and weed abatement* Improvement of open spaces and parks
Guidelines For a Stronger Application:
* Be creative with your project* Show evidence of project sustainability once grant funding ends* Leverage partnerships to increase the scope of your project - this grant could be just a starting point to seed your project * Overall impact
Awards can be used towards project materials and supplies. Our grants do not fund salaries or stipends, existing obligations or deficits, office equipment, furniture, uniforms, sports equipment, food, or entertainment. Upon notification of a grant award, 75% of the request will be paid to the grantee with the balance paid out when all reports and site visits have been completed.
We strongly suggest that tools be obtained from the city of Oakland’s Public Works through their online tool request form or from Oakland’s tool lending library.
Grant recipients are required to submit a final report with before and after photos. Ideally these photos will be from the same vantage point to best illustrate the project’s scope. Please recognize KOB in your social media efforts.
The application deadline for our annual funding cycle is September 1, 2017 and all complete submissions must be received online or post-marked by this date. Applicants for projects on City-owned land must have their Adopt a spot applications in by August 15th, 2017. Applicants will be notified within 30 days of the deadline. Projects must be completed by June 15, 2018.Questions?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit us at: