The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS), Michigan Department of Education (MDE), Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) and American Heart Association (AHA) in conjunction with the Michigan Alliance for Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death of the Young (MAP-SCDY) have developed an initiative to award Michigan schools with a MI HEARTSafe School designation. The MI HEARTSafe School program encourages schools to prepare and protect students, staff, and visitors in the event of a cardiac emergency.
The MI HEARTSafe School designation is awarded when a school has completed all of the following criteria:
1. A written cardiac emergency response plan reviewed at least annually with staff as designated by state law for during the school day AND for organized after-school activities and sports if applicable (HB4713 approved in February 2014).
2. A cardiac emergency response team with current CPR/AED certification, sufficient to respond to an emergency during school hours AND during organized after-school activities and sports if applicable.
3. At least 10% of staff, 50% of coaches including 100% head coaches of varsity sports, and 100% of P.E. staff with current CPR/AED certification.
4. A sufficient number of accessible, properly maintained and inspected AEDs ready to use, with signs identifying AED locations.
5. The performance of at least one cardiac emergency response drill per year prior to May 15, 2017.
6. All athletic pre-participation screening completed with the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) form (updated in 2016).
For further information on how to become a MI HEARTSafe School, please visit www.migrc.org/miheartsafe to review the MI HEARTSafe School Program Questions and Answers document. If you have additional questions, please contact:
Debra Duquette, MS, CGCMDHHS Genomics Program CoordinatorE-mail: email@example.comPhone: 517.335.8286 Fax: 517.335.9790
An e-mail confirmation will be sent to you after submitting the application. Please contact Debra Duquette, MS, CGC by phone if you do not receive this confirmation.