c01q01 - Quiz
Chapter 1 - Introduction: Evolution and the Foundations of Biology
1) A localized group of organisms that belong to the same species is called a
2) Organisms interact with their environments, exchanging matter and energy. For example, plant chloroplasts convert the energy of sunlight to
carbon dioxide and water.
the energy of motion.
3) The main source of energy for producers in an ecosystem is
4) Which of the following types of cells utilize deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) as their genetic material but do not have their DNA encased within a nuclear envelope?
5) To understand the chemical basis of inheritance, we must understand the molecular structure of DNA. This is an example of the application of which concept to the study of biology?
the cell theory
6) Prokaryotes are classified as belonging to two different domains. What are the domains?
Bacteria and Protista
Eukarya and Monera
Archaea and Monera
Bacteria and Eukarya
Bacteria and Archaea
7) A water sample from a hot thermal vent contained a single-celled organism that had a cell wall but lacked a nucleus. What is its most likely classification?
8) An organism has been isolated from decomposing organic matter. This organism has a cell wall but no chloroplasts. How would you classify this organism?
domain Eukarya, kingdom Plantae
domain Archaea, kingdom Bacteria
domain Eukarya, kingdom Protista
domain Eukarya, kingdom Fungi
domain Bacteria, kingdom Prokaryota
9) Which of these provides evidence of the common ancestry of all life?
structure of the nucleus
ubiquitous use of catalysts by living systems
structure of cilia
near universality of the genetic code
structure of chloroplasts
10) Which of the following is (are) true of natural selection?
It requires genetic variation.
It results in descent with modification.
It involves differential reproductive success.
It results in descent with modification and involves differential reproductive success.
It requires genetic variation, results in descent with modification, and involves differential
11) Which of these individuals is likely to be most successful in an evolutionary sense?
an organism that lives 100 years and leaves two offspring, both of whom survive to reproduce
an organism that dies after five days of life but leaves 10 offspring, all of whom survive to reproduce
a reproductively sterile individual who never falls ill
a female who mates with 20 males and produces one offspring that lives to reproduce
a male who mates with 20 females and fathers one offspring
12) Through time, the lineage that led to modern whales shows a change from four-limbed land animals to aquatic animals with two limbs that function as flippers. This change is best explained by
the hierarchy of the biological organization of life.
13) Imagine there is a species-specific fishing regulation that mandates only adult fish of this species that are 75 cm or longer may be kept and shorter fish must be released. Based on your knowledge of natural selection, you would predict that the average length of the adult fish population will
14) When applying the process of science, which of these is tested?
a control group
15) A controlled experiment is one in which
the experiment is repeated many times to ensure that the results are accurate.
there are at least two groups, one of which does not receive the experimental treatment.
there are at least two groups, one differing from the other by two or more variables.
there is one group for which the scientist controls all variables.
the experiment proceeds at a slow pace to guarantee that the scientist can carefully observe all reactions and process all experimental data.
16) Why is it important that an experiment include a control group?
A control group is required for the development of an "If…then" statement.
The control group provides a reserve of experimental subjects.
Without a control group, there is no basis for knowing if a particular result is due to the variable being tested.
A control group assures that an experiment will be repeatable.
The researcher predetermines the results for the control group.
17) Which branch of biology is concerned with the naming and classifying of organisms?
18) All the organisms in Fort Benton make up
an experimental group.
19) Which of the following best describes the logic of scientific inquiry?
If I generate a testable hypothesis, tests and observations will support it.
If my observations are accurate, they will support my hypothesis.
If my hypothesis is correct, I can expect certain test results.
If my experiments are set up right, they will lead to a testable hypothesis.
If my prediction is correct, it will lead to a testable hypothesis.
20) Which of the following is an example of qualitative data?
The plant’s height is 25 centimeters (cm).
The temperature decreased from 20°C to 15°C.
The contents of the stomach are mixed every 20 seconds.
The six pairs of robins hatched an average of three chicks.
The fish swam in a zigzag motion.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service