Seattle Music Partners Volunteer Application 2019-2020
This application is for anyone interested in volunteering to work with our 4th and 5th graders in an after-school setting.
NOTE: If you are an adult interested in our Middle School Music Project, please go to the separate MSMP Volunteer Application:
We're looking for volunteers who have:
1. Strong music skills
2. A passion for working with children
3. An interest in community service
4. Strong communication skills
5. An interest in building community with staff, tutors and students
6. No prior teaching experience necessary, but a commitment to growth is a must
There are two different ways to volunteer with SMP: As a "Tutor" and as a "Student Assistant"
Tutors work one-on-one with a student, mentoring them and teaching them to play their instrument. After each lesson, all Tutors meet with an adult Lesson Supervisor for 15-20 minutes to debrief, get advice, offer advice to other tutors, etc. Here is SMP's Tutor schedule:
Mondays: Lowell Elementary, 3:50-5:05pm (1058 E Mercer St)
Tuesdays: Madrona K-8, 3:50-5:20pm (1121 33rd Ave)
Wednesdays: Leschi Elementary, 2:50-4:20pm (135 32nd Ave)
Thursdays: Bailey Gatzert Elementary, 3:50-5:20pm (1301 E Yesler Way)
New and returning tutors will have a volunteer orientation before SMP's programming begins. This date will be announced once we compile our entire list of volunteers.
Tutor sessions will start the week of October 28th (one week after volunteer SAs start with sectionals)
Volunteer STUDENT ASSISTANT
Volunteers also have an opportunity to work as a Student Assistant (SA) during sectionals of similar instruments (woodwinds/brass/strings). For these days, we seek volunteers who are especially interested and/or experienced in working with groups of children rather than one-on-one. An adult Teaching Artist will lead the sectional while the SA helps by playing along, demonstrating technique, taking kids into the hall for review, setting up the chairs/stands, etc.
Here is the SMP Sectional schedule:
Mondays: Leschi Elementary, 3:45-5:15pm
Tuesdays: Lowell Elementary, 3:50 - 4:45pm
Thursdays: Madrona K-8, 3:45-5:00pm
Fridays: Bailey Gatzert Elementary, 3:05-4:05pm
New and returning volunteers will have a Student Assistant orientation before program begins the week of October 21st. Date and time will be announced once we compile our entire list of SAs.
*Please note, you will either be placed as a one-on-one Tutor or a Student Assistant (unless you sign up for both) and only have to attend one orientation. Please reach out to us with any questions regarding the volunteer orientations.
SMP offers the following instruments to beginners: violin, cello, flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, and percussion (bells/snare).
If you play more than one instrument or an instrument other than the ones listed above, you're still a GREAT candidate! For example: A sax player could probably teach a beginning clarinetist with ease and expertise! A string bass or viola player can provide solid instruction to a beginning violinist or cellist!
The goal of our volunteering program is to engage and inspire a beginning music student. We expect our volunteers to be positive role models and mentors. In order for our volunteers to be well-prepared, safe, and effective in their role we require that volunteers:
1. Complete their application materials in full.
2. Attend volunteer orientation.
3. Commit to attending after-school sessions for the full commitment time each week on the day they are assigned.
4. Have consistent attendance – 3 unexcused absences is grounds for dismissal from the program.
5. Give clear/advance communication about scheduling and any conflicts.
6. Read and reply to emails or phone calls from program staff.
7. Comply with rules regarding conduct in public schools and safe supervision of students.
8. Be high school aged or older.
9. Have parent permission (unless 18 or older).
10. Ensure that 2 letters of recommendation are submitted before beginning to tutor. (Please have the name, email and phone number of your two recommenders ready to submit at the end of this application. Returning tutors are exempt from this requirement.)
Sound like your kind of program? Click on to the next page of the application! Thank you for your interest!
Note: This is a pretty extensive application, complete with an essay question on why you'd like to join us this year. We think it will probably take you about 20 minutes to complete. There's no opportunity for you to save your work and come back to it, so please be ready to complete this in one sitting. Thanks!
Page 1 of 4
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service