WAIT LIST: Bowen Island Public Library 3rd Annual Adult Spelling Bee (Saturday October 13, 2018, 7:30 pm @ Cove Commons)
UPDATE - ALL TEAM SPOTS NOW FILLED! If you would like to be on a wait list, in case a team drops out, please fill out the following form.
• A maximum of 6 (six) teams will be registered - do register early! We will confirm your registration by email.
• Teams must be at least 2 members and no more than 4 members.
• A team captain must be identified and the captain is responsible for team registration (submitting names, contact information, and team name).
• Registration and entry to the event is free for team members this year! You will not be given tickets, but your names will be put on a list at the door.
• All teams must register by September 30.
• If you only have 2 members upon registration, and wish to add 1 or 2 more later, please do so by September 30 by calling the library at 604-947-9788
Rules and Procedures
1. Each team will consist of two, three or four members, ages 18+. All teams should have a designated captain. All teams should have a designated writer who will write their response on a dry erase board.
2. The caller will pronounce the word, give the definition, part of speech, use it in a sentence and then repeat the word one additional time.
3. Team members will have 20 seconds to collaborate on the spelling of the word and write on their dry erase board. Any team that does not hold up their board when the timekeeper calls time will not receive points for that round. If the word is illegible, the team captain will have one opportunity to read out the spelling (without consultation from the team).
4. Judges will then announce whether the word has been spelled correctly or incorrectly for each team.
5. Each word is assigned a point value based on the difficulty of the word. Words will increase in difficulty as the bee progresses. The team with the most points at the end of the competition is declared the winner.
6. Half-way through the competition there will be an intermission. At that time, points for each team will be announced.
7. These procedures and official rules will govern the Adult Spelling Bee. Any disputes will be resolved by the judges.
8. We will be using the dictionary at
- Canadian spellings.
Team theme Contest
Not sure if your spelling skills will win your the main prize? Not to worry, there is an extra prize for best team theme. This will include team name, costumes and accessories. So grab your team mates and your best costumes and come dressed up to the 2018 Spelling Bee.
Costumes are not mandatory but definitely encouraged!
Team Captain (first & last name)
Email - Team Captain
Phone number - Team Captain
#2 Team member (first & last name)
Phone number - team member #2
Email - team member #2
#3 Team member (first & last name)
Phone number - team member #3
Email - team member #3
#4 Team member (first & last name)
Phone number - team member #4
Email - team member #4
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Bowen Island Public Library.
Terms of Service