Endless Images: A SoCal Summer Program
A one day mini-conference organized by members of the Visual Resources Association (VRA), Society of CA Archivists (SCA), and Art Libraries Society of North America Southern California Chapter (ARLIS/SC).
Event Date: Monday, August 15, 2016
Event Address: Laguna College of Art + Design, 2222 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach, CA 92651
Spend some time with colleagues in beautiful Laguna Beach!
Join us for an invigorating day of learning and discussion
Schedule for Monday, August 15th:
9:00 am-9:30 am -- Check in, Morning Refreshments, Meet & Greet at LCAD campus
9:30-9:45am -- Welcome and Introductions
9:45 am-11:30 am -- Session 1: Grants, Curation, Digital Projects & Instruction
11:30 am-12:30 pm -- Lunch
12:30 pm-1:45 pm -- Lightning Round
1:45 pm-2:00 pm -- Break
2:00 pm-2:15 -- Sponsoring Organizations News and Introductions
2:15 pm-4:00 pm -- Session 2: Description, Metadata & Preservation
4:30 pm-6:00 pm -- Reception at Sherman Library & Gardens in nearby Corona del Mar
Invited Session Participants:
- Lisa Crane (Claremont Colleges Library): “Using CONTENTdm for Archival Projects”
- Steve Kutay (CSU Northridge): “Guided Resource Inquiries: Integrating Course and Archives Literacy
- Emilee Matthews (UC Irvine): “Reaching Out, Reaching In: Effects of Piloting Linked Open Data on Artists’ Books at University of California, Irvine”
- Greg Reser (UC San Diego): “Shared Shelf as a Means to Many Ends”
- Teresa Soleau (Getty Research Institute): “Digitizing the GRI’s Julius Shulman Photography Archive – Discovery and
- Adrian Turner (California Digital Library): “Calisphere: New Modes for Contributing, New Modes for Access”
- Greg Williams (CSU Dominguez Hills), Maureen Burns (IMAGinED Consulting), and Rachel Mandell (CSU Dominguez Hills): “Granting Wishes: Roles and Challenges Implementing Grants with Multiple Partners”
-Paul Wormser (Sherman Library & Gardens): “Limitless Images, Limited Resources: Challenges of a Small Private Library”
Lightning Round Participants:
- Diann Benti (Huntington Library): "Creating Metadata: the Ernest Marquez Photograph Collection"
- Kelly Besser and Yasmin Dessem (UCLA Library): "Can You Dig It? Diamonds In Your Own Black Yard: Excavating and Preserving Audiovisual Gems Within the Golden State Mutual Life Insurance Company records"
- Krystal Boehlert (J. Paul Getty Museum): "Viewing Stereographs with Your Smartphone"
- Rand Boyd (Chapman University): "Digitization and PDF/A"
- Bonnie Corral (UC Irvine): "Managing the Digital Assets of "UCI Stories" Oral History Project"
- Erin Fletcher (Whittier Public Library): "Gathering Images of Post-War Whittier"
- Janine Henri (UCLA Arts Library): "Announcing Visual Resources in Instruction: a UCLA grant-funded project"
- Laura Uglean Jackson (UC Irvine): "Is the Original Always Better than the Remake? Raw Camera Moving Image Files"
- Christine Kim (UC Irvine): "Can I request a copy of this image?"
- Shilpa Rele (Loyola Marymount University): "Finding an on ramp to the DPLA: LMU’s partnership with Calisphere"
- Greg Reser (UC San Diego): "New VRA Embedded Metadata Tools"
- Jackie Spafford (UC Santa Barbara): "The Color Film Emergency Project"
Arrive on Sunday afternoon to see Laguna's famous art museum and the Pageant of the Masters
Spend a little more time in Laguna Beach with colleagues! Come into town the day before on Sunday, August 14th and join us for all or some of the following events:
Docent led tour of Laguna Art Museum and Library ($3 per person: register by Aug. 1st)
Time to explore Laguna Beach with option of a no-host dinner with colleagues
Pageant of the Masters performance ($40 per person: register by July 20th)
Early bird rate (by July 20th): $30 members of SCA, VRA or ARLIS/NA, $30 students, or $50 nonmembers
Regular rate (July 20th - August 5th): $50 members of SCA, VRA or ARLIS/NA, $50 students, or $70 nonmembers
REGISTER HERE at:
Need more information?
Ask us! Maureen Burns (
) and Jennifer Martinez Wormser (
Links of Interest:
Laguna College of Art + Design:
Laguna Art Museum:
Pageant of the Masters:
Sherman Library & Gardens:
Visit Laguna Beach:
Art Libraries Society of North America:
Society of California Archivists:
Visual Resources Association:
This form was created inside of Laguna College of Art + Design.