SAI offers academic year funding for the following languages: Bengali, Hindi, Malayalam, Pashto, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu, and other approved contemporary South Asian languages.
Undergraduate students from all fields of study, and from all departments and colleges are eligible to apply for Summer FLAS funding, as long as the student:
• Is a citizen, or a national or permanent resident of the United States;
• Shows potential for superior academic achievement as indicated by a long-term interest in South Asia;
• Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training at the intermediate or advanced level;
• Is an undergraduate student in good standing at UT Austin.
Please Note: Awards will not be made to native speakers of the language nor those who possess fluency equivalent to educated native speakers in the language for which the award is sought.
In addition to this form, a completed application must include:
• Official academic transcripts
• Two letters of academic reference with reference forms
• One letter of language reference with reference form.
To download Reference Forms (PDF 279KB), please go to the following link:
Please have transcripts and references sent to:
FLAS coordinator, South Asia Institute
The University of Texas at Austin, WCH 4.132 (G9300)
Austin, Texas 78712
Phone: (512) 232-9096 Fax: (512) 471-3336
Important FLAS Fellowship Dates:
• Applications are due on February 13, 2013 by 4:00 pm
• Notifications of awards are sent out at the end of March 2013
For more detailed information on the FLAS Fellowship please consult the FAQ document at the following link:
If you have any difficulties with this online form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.