“The Day the Worms Moved In” Quiz
Directions: Read the story “The Day the Worms Moved In” in the October/November 2019 issue of Storyworks. Then fill in the bubble next to the best answer for each question below. Make sure you enter your email address at the top of the quiz. When you are finished taking the quiz, click "SUBMIT" to send your answers to your teacher.
1. Who is Billy Peppercorn?
a worm that Maddie accidentally lost
Maddie’s little brother
someone who works with Maddie’s mother
2. In the phrase “I ended up with a severe worm phobia,” phobia means ______.
3. In the story, the phrase “My mind turns to trickery” means that Maddie is thinking of ways to:
get back at Billy Peppercorn.
kill the worms.
hide her fear of worms.
play practical jokes on her brothers.
4. Why does Maddie try to eat all the food on her plate after the worms arrive?
She wants to please her mother.
She is trying to starve the worms.
She wants to avoid using the compost bin.
She thinks that food scraps are bad for worms.
5. The worms end up on the floor in the garage because they:
were on their way to Maddie’s bedroom.
got too hot and crawled out to cool down.
wanted to escape the bin and go outdoors.
dug their way out through the holes in the bin while trying to get warm.
6. At the end of the story, why does Maddie feel proud of herself?
She asks for help when she needs it.
She faces her fear of worms.
She finally tells the truth about how much worms scare her.
She completes her science project on worms.
7. In the phrase “hundreds of worms writhing around under the composting bin and across the floor,” writhing means ______.
Directions: Write your answer to each question in a well-organized response.
Make sure you support your answers with details from the story.
8. Describe Maddie using a character trait. Then, give one piece of evidence to support that trait.Write in complete sentences. TTQA (Turn the question around/restate). DO NOT CHOOSE PROUD.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Green Local Schools.