Welcome and thanks for your interest in volunteering/interning with us in Costa Rica. To make your immersion experience safe and enjoyable Costa Rica Frika asks participants to respect the following guidelines/policies. Failure to comply with these may result in removal from the program.
1. Illegal drug use will not be tolerated under any circumstances. If you are seen using or it is found on you, you will be immediately removed from the program with no refund. Costa Rica is actively cracking down on illegal drug use and the penalties/jail time are severe in comparison to other countries. Note: Marijuana is just as illegal in Costa Rica as it is in most of the world.
2. Alcohol and tobacco: Let’s be honest we’re all adults here and can make our own choices. Costa Rica Frika’s only request is that we are respectful in our consumption. It’s really important that we not only respect others in the group, but likewise, respect the communities where we are working. Showing up to the placements hung over or not going because of a hangover is unacceptable and repeated transgressions will result in the removal of the program. Alcohol and tobacco consumption is strictly prohibited for anyone under the age of 18.
3. Costa Rica time: Please be conscious that time and punctuality is not the same as what you are used to when volunteering in a developing country. Costa Rica has greatly improved on this but it is still possible that there may be delays and changes in the volunteer work. We ask for your patience and understanding on this issue and we do our best to guarantee our projects.
IMPORTANT REMINDERS ABOUT YOUR VOLUNTEER COMMITMENT:
- CRF will provide the individual/group: -Airport pick up in San José. -Orientation to Costa Rica, and the placement site. -Lodging with local families or in dorms (project dependent). -2-3 meals per day depending on program/lodging.
- CRF does not provide the following: -Airfare to/from Costa Rica -Passport/visa fees -Vaccinations -Airport exit fee (approx. $30 USD, however this is now included in most airline tickets) -Travel/medical insurance (proof of medical insurance required for program participation)
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
Upon submitting your application CRF will consult with you to discuss application and placement preferences/goals. This will be in the form of an email or a Skype interview. After the consult we will prepare a placement offer for you with costs.