2021-2022 MESC Volunteer Application
The Middle Eastern Student Commission is a ASUW entity that is committed to serving, celebrating, and advocating for Middle Eastern Students at UW, as well as creating a safe space for students who need physical or emotional support both on and off campus. We strive to host events and create initiatives that aim at uplifting the Middle Eastern Communities on and off campus by collaborating with Registered Student Organizations at UW and other off-campus organizations. The MESC also has a protected seat in the ASUW Student Senate and is able to propose and vote on legislations that impact the Middle Eastern community at UW.
Why volunteer with the us?
- Network and Build a Community: MESC is the newest Student Commission in the ASUW. MESC is a great place to network as we hear about jobs, internships, scholarships, and leadership programs all the time through our academic and professional connections! As an intern you will get to meet and build relationships throughout the ASUW and the Middle Eastern community at all three campuses of the University of Washington and the greater Seattle area.
- Broaden your skill set: Some of these positions require you to step outside your comfort zone and improve upon skills that you may carry with you into your professional careers. Not many people can say that they have programmed large events, worked on grant proposals, taught or lectured on Middle Eastern culture, or say that they coordinated student retreats on campus. This internship involves advocating for Middle Eastern students on UW's campus. Through this we hope that you will both find your community and build upon your leadership skills. We intend on giving you an experience that will both be educational and beneficial to your personal growth. Within the MESC, you'll have the freedom to work on issues that align with your own personal interests from education and career development to legislative writing and cultural advocacy. If you're interested in other issues that are not covered in the positions explained below, you're more than welcome to discuss them more during the interview!
-Celebrate Middle Eastern Culture: One of the best parts about MESC is that we oversee several diverse student organizations and collaborate with them to create initiatives that serve their respective communities.
*Volunteers will be required to*:
- Work a maximum of 3 hours a week. We understand that you are college students and have demanding schedules, so we will try our best to work with your schedules.
- Attend team meetings with the MESC Director
- Attend MESC constituent meetings
- Help out with MESC-hosted events
Amira M. Elfergani
Middle Eastern Student Commission Director 2021-2022
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
Name (First, Last)
Preferred pronouns (she/her, he/him, they/them, etc.)
UW Email Address
What is your current class standing:
What do you hope to achieve out of your involvement with the MESC?
(Optional) Are there any issues concerning Middle Eastern Students that you find particularly interesting and would like to work towards?
Additional Comments or Questions?
How did you hear about this opportunity?
Send me a copy of my responses.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of UW.