The 5-Minute Doc Challenge (2019)
The Nickel Independent Film Festival 2019 is coming to the LSPU from June 17-22 and we're inviting you to take part!
The 5-Minute Doc Challenge is a creative challenge to anyone to write, shoot and edit a short documentary in 10 days — between June 7th and June 16th. It’s free to participate, open to all ages, and registration is open until the challenge ends at 8pm on June 16. A public screening will take place on Tuesday June 18th on the mainstage of the LSPU Hall as part of the Nickel Independent Film Festival 2019 (June 17-22.)
Submitted short films must be 5 minutes long, and can be any type of documentary style. For example: first-person, fly-on-the-wall, nature documentary, adventure, mockumentary, reality TV, etc. Interview someone you admire, explain a complicated subject, make a news report, or just strap a GoPro to your helmet and taste-test a few flavours of ice cream.
Optional subject prompts can be given at the beginning of the challenge.
PUBLIC SCREENING PARTY
Tuesday, June 18 at LSPU Hall Main Stage at 7:30pm. PWYC
Any questions? Email
In case of technical or other emergencies. Don't worry, we'll keep it private.
5-Minute Doc Challenge Rules
• Writing, shooting and editing must take place between June 7 at 8pm and June 16 at 8pm.
• Films must be five minutes in length, not including titles and credits.
• Completed films are to be uploaded to the challenge Dropbox by 8pm on June 16th.
• We are not obligated to screen every film submitted. We reserve the right to not show a film we find inappropriate for our audience, for any reason.
• Filmmakers are responsible for ensuring they have permission to use any locations, subjects, music, sound effects or stock footage featured in their work.
• Your completed film is your intellectual property and you retain the rights, but by submitting you give the organizers royalty-free permission to show and sample your film for Challenge-related events and promotion.
• Participants under 18 must ensure they have express permission from a parent or guardian to participate.
• Have fun!
Other team members yet?
Social media links?
So we can check out what you're up to during the challenge!
Where are you located?
Would you like a topic prompt for your film?
Don't worry, even if you answer yes here you don't have to use it. It's just to spark your imagination.
No thanks, I already have a subject in mind.
I agree to not do anything that endangers myself or others, or to break any laws for the sake of this film.
Please don't blow yourselves up, for heaven's sake.
I have read and agree to the rules (see below)
Thank you! Tell your friends! We'll send you details by email closer to the start date!
We send out challenge-related updates periodically by email, so check your spam folder just in case and add us as an email contact! If you have any questions, message us at
A copy of your responses will be emailed to the address you provided.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service