1) SIGN UP: Please sign up to indicate interest in participating in any of the academic competitions by Friday, September 22nd.
2) PARENT VOLUNTEERS: The following competitions WILL require a parent (or parents) to volunteer to LEAD the competition/test AND COORDINATE other parent volunteers: AMC-8, Science Fair, Future Problem Solvers, XSTEM Club. For team competitions, parents will need to volunteer to COACH/LEAD a team. Additionally, we are fortunate to have parent volunteers to COORDINATE Science Olympiad (divisions A and B), the National Geographic Bee, and the National Spelling Bee.
Please note: All Coordinators and Coaches must fill out a Team Contact Form in order to perform under the auspices of the Mantua PTA and Mantua Elementary School. If this form is not filled out, you cannot use the Mantua facilities. Please contact email@example.com for this form.
3) TEAM COMPETITONS: Additionally, a number of the competitions are team competitions—you will be notified by Mid-October of other families interested in forming a team. Teams will require at least one parent volunteer per team.
4) AGE APPROPRIATENESS: Please note the age guidelines associated with some of the competitions. It is imperative that you respect these guidelines to ensure that your child is challenged appropriately for both their maturity and ability. If your child does not meet the age requirements, they WILL NOT be permitted to participate.
5) COSTS: Please be aware that these teams are RUN and FUNDED by parent volunteers and the families involved. Neither the school nor the PTA run or provide funding for the competitions, tests, or team expenses. Many of the competitions cost $10-30 for participation/expenses, but a few (like FLL) can run in excess of $100 per participant. Typically, the coordinator or coach will spilt the costs for team registration, materials, t-shirts, and other expenses among the team members. Thus, it is important to pay your fair share promptly to ensure coordinators and coaches are reimbursed for their expenses.
If you need further information about any of these competitions, please use the links on: http://mantuapta.org/programs.html.