If the recipient is found to not qualify for the award they have been selected and notified to receive due to a submission error, change in circumstance, omission of information, or false statements that have been used to qualify for the award, the Broward Education Foundation and/or the Sponsor may revoke the award with no alternate funding options required by the Foundation or the Sponsor.
Be accepted and enroll as a full-time degree or certificate seeking student at an accredited college, university or technical college in 2016-17.
Meet the Florida residency requirements of at least 1 year prior to selection.
• Possess: a 2017 Broward County Public School or Broward County Public Charter high school diploma, a 2017 State of Florida GED certificate earned through the Broward County Public Schools or be a 2017 Broward County Public School technical college program completer.
• Submit: a complete online application by April 15, 2017. a complete online FAFSA (Free Federal Financial Aid Application) starting October, 2016. hard copies of all required documents postmarked no later than May 1, 2017. • Complete any and all essay requirements for any scholarship for which you are applying that requires an essay.
Some scholarship opportunities have additional criteria. The following requirements may be a factor in the selection of an applicant for various scholarships.
• Some of our scholarships are tuition scholarships from Florida Prepaid. In order to be eligible to receive a Florida Prepaid Scholarship in the Stanley Tate Stars Program you must be in the Free or Reduced Lunch program, have completed and returned the Stanley Tate Stars Program Pre-Application Intent letter during your 11th grade and met and continue to meet with your Brace Advisor, Mentor and or School Counselor throughout your 11th and 12th grade year. Remember: There are various kinds of scholarships available, even if you do not qualify for one of the Florida Prepaid scholarships. (This bullet will not apply to everyone.)
• Have a substantial unmet financial need as calculated by the selection committee from the complete financial aid award package and verified by the post-secondary financial aid office. Unmet financial need will be evaluated and selection will be dependent upon the number of awards available.
• Send the completed “Permission to Release Information”, Application Checklist, and Media Release to the Broward Education Foundation along with your required documentation. This information needs to be post marked or hand delivered by May 1, 2017.
• The Financial Aid Award Letter you received from your college of choice (we will accept faxed and emailed Award Letters IF received by the deadline). If an applicant’s choice of college, university, or technical school changes after submitting the application, the Award Letter from your new school must be submitted to the Broward Education Foundation post marked or hand delivered by May 1, 2017. Failure to submit this to the BRACE Scholarship Selection Committee by the deadline may result in the applicant being disqualified.
• Certificate or proof of program completion (Letter of Recommendation from Instructor) if required for a particular scholarship. (Academy of Technology, Academy of Hospitality & Tourism and Academy of Finance) and (Urban Teacher Academy Program).
• Mail all hard copy and supporting documents. Do not send your originals...mail only photocopies! (KEEP A FULL COPY OF WHAT YOU SEND IN THE MAIL FOR YOUR RECORDS).
Please note: No extensions will be granted beyond application deadline.
• If selected, recipient must return all additional requested information to include completed contract, thank you letters to sponsors and copy of Fall 2017 schedule.
• If selected, continuously enroll as a full-time student, completing a suggested minimum of 12 credit hours, 4 classes or the equivalent clock hours in all fall & spring semesters. Summer attendance is not mandatory, however, any shortage of the 24 credit hours per year are required to be made up during the summer term. The exact GPA obligation will be specific to the requirements of the scholarship that you are awarded and will be specified on the contract.
• If selected for renewable scholarships certain conditions must be met for continued eligibility, such as maintaining a required GPA as indicated on the award contract.
• If selected, must remain crime and drug free.
• All recipients must provide copies of semester schedules and grades and the end of each semester throughout the life of the contract/award.
• Most scholarships are awarded based upon a student’s unmet financial need.• Academic achievement will also be considered for certain scholarships• Other scholarships (see below) have additional requirements such as a higher GPA, documented community service hours, specific majors, high school GPA, etc.• Students are considered from among successfully completed application packages.
How does a scholarship recipient remain eligible?
• Students receiving scholarships must attend the school or institution indicated in their application package to remain eligible.• All scholarship recipients must remain enrolled as full-time students, that is complete a minimum of 12 credit hours, 4 classes (or equivalent clock hours in all fall and spring semesters.o Please note: Summer attendance is not mandatory. However, any shortage of the 24 credit hours per year are required to be made up during the summer term. The exact obligation will be specific to the requirements of the scholarship that you are awarded and will be specified on your scholarship contract.• For renewable scholarships certain conditions must be met for continued eligibility, such maintaining a 2.25 GPA, with exceptions as noted in the list of the scholarship opportunities.
Can an applicant receive a submission deadline extension?
• No extensions will be granted beyond application deadline.