Initial Damage Assessment Form

The affected public must report disaster damage to their local city/county emergency management agency, which in turn documents the information on specified forms and sends it to the state Emergency Management Division (EMD) for analysis. This process is called the “Initial Damage Assessment”.
The supplemental justification is a very detailed document that will require input from many different local government departments. Essentially, the Supplemental Justification paints a verbal picture of the local jurisdiction, before, during, and after the event. More than the number of homes sustaining major damage or destroyed, this document will paint a verbal picture of the damage and the community’s ability, or lack thereof, to recover without federal assistance.
As much as possible, the Supplemental Justification should be prepared ahead of any disaster as this can be an overwhelming requirement at the time of an event. Incomplete or inaccurate information could lead to a delay or worse - a denial of federal assistance. When the numbers of homes damaged or destroyed is low, the Supplemental Justification carries most of the weight of the request for federal assistance.

The state Emergency Management Division, in consultation with the affected local jurisdictions, may determine that the damages are significant and warrant a request for federal disaster assistance. EMD will ask the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), and the local jurisdiction, as appropriate, to validate the reported damage.
This process is called the “Preliminary Damage Assessment” (PDA) and is nearly always a requirement to obtain federal assistance. The PDA not only validates the damage but it also assesses the need for various other forms of assistance such as crisis counseling, disaster unemployment, legal services, etc.

Several options for providing disaster assistance are available to a community affected by disaster. Determining which type of assistance the local jurisdiction is eligible for depends on reliable damage assessment information, submitting the appropriate forms, and providing that information to EMD within specified time-frame and guidelines.
Damage to a primary residence is reported on HS Form 1-PR. Physical damage to businesses is reported on HS Form 2-BU form. Download the NEW 2012 HS forms HS Initial Disaster Assessment Form 1PR-2BU with instructions (this is a MS Excel form). Please read the directions before completing any portion of the HS Forms 1-PR and 2-BU. (Attention MS Office 2007 users: save the Excel doc as a Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls) NOT as a *.xlsx file.) Use the Economic Injury Worksheet (PDF) to report economic injury losses suffered by the business community.

One thing to keep in mind when recording and reporting damage – no matter which federal agency or voluntary organization provides the assistance, secondary homes and recreational homes are not eligible for disaster assistance of any kind. Detached garages and storage buildings do not count either. So, when you are submitting damage reports, please know that these will not be counted in determining eligibility for disaster assistance.
Orchards and crops should be reported to the local farm service representative and subsequently to the state Farm Service Agency and the state Department of Agriculture.
Types of Assistance - Criteria and Document Requirements

Federal disaster assistance can be provided through the Stafford Act when the President declares a major disaster. In certain cases the United States Small Business Administration (USSBA) can declare a disaster under its own authority. For fishery disasters, assistance is provided through the Magnuson-Stevens Act. However, Fishery Disasters are not addressed in this document. For more information on Fishery Disasters, please contact the Human Services Manager at 253-512-7028.

Presidential Declaration of a Major Disaster
Assistance provided under the Stafford Act includes minimal assistance for housing repairs, housing replacement, and rental assistance. Additionally, help is available for medical, dental, and funeral expenses, vehicle repair/replacement, transportation, and certain other personal property losses.

In lieu of a major disaster declaration by the President the USSBA has two programs that could help a community: an SBA Physical Loss Disaster Loan or an Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program.

SBA Physical Loss Disaster Loans
This loan program provides low interest loans to eligible individuals and businesses that have incurred disaster damage. Loans are intended to help disaster victims’ repair or replace damaged property to its pre-disaster condition.

SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL)
EIDL provides low-interest loans to eligible small businesses that have suffered substantial economic injury, regardless of physical damage. It provides operating expenses until a business recovers.

Both SBA disaster loan programs are available as part of a Presidential disaster declaration.

Please Note: When completing any of the forms it is important that you provide all the information required by the form. Leaving a single item blank can render the information useless. And, please do not modify the forms. Remember, that federal disaster assistance addresses uninsured and underinsured losses. Consequently, insurance information is critical in determining if federal disaster assistance is required. Likewise, EMD needs to know an ESTIMATED (best guess) cost to repair, and EMD needs to know the estimated fair replacement value or pre-disaster fair market value of the damaged property, whichever is lower in the event a decision is made to request an SBA physical Disaster Loan Program in lieu of a Major Disaster Declaration.

First Name *
Your answer
Last Name *
Your answer
Street Address
Your answer
City *
Your answer
Zip *
Your answer
Occupant: Owner or Renter
Estimated Pre-Disaster Fair Market Value (FMV) of Structure ONLY
Your answer
Estimated Structure Loss in $$
Your answer
Estimated PERSONAL PROPERTY Loss in $$
Your answer
Primary Cause of Damage *
Type of Insurance
Your answer
Your answer
Category of Damage
Your answer
Description of Damages
Your answer
Contact Name *
Your answer
Contact Phone *
Your answer
Contact Email *
Your answer
Total Uninsured Loss
Your answer
% of Total Uninsured Loss/ FMV
Your answer
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google. Report Abuse - Terms of Service