New Species of Galapagos Tortoise SAT V2
DIRECTIONS: after reading the passage, choose the best answer to each question based on what is stated or implied in the passage and in any accompanying graphics (such as a table or graph)
1. As used in line 4, "embattled" most likely means
prepared to fight
engrossed in a conflict
engaged in battle
2. What conclusion can be drawn from paragraph 6, lines 29-38.
Tortoises can coexist on the same islands
Tortoises are terrestrial animals that can't swim
Tortoises from the same island are genetically identical
All species of tortoises have existed on the Galapagos for millions of years
3. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
Line 29-31 ("But genetic.....she said")
Line 32-35 ("And Cerro....years")
Line 35-38 (Peter Paul....typhoon")
4. An unstated assumption made by the authors regarding tortoises in paragraph 4, lines 18-24
climate is NOT an important factor in determining population size
There is less competition for Food in the area called Deadly Hill
More food is available in the moister, more elevated southwestern section of Santa Cruz
More tortoises live in mountainous areas
5. The main purpose of the passage is to
Inform the public of an endangered species
describe the habitat of new species of tortoise on the Galapagos
describe evidence for a new species of tortoise in the Galapagos
explain how a new species of tortoise is named
6. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
line 49-51 ("the gentic...in london")
line 18-21 ("the new species...new study")
line 12-14 ("now the....from different islands")
line 42-45 ("while most...tortoises")
7. As used in line 18, "arid" most nearly means
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service