PolyColumbus Board of Directors Self-Nomination Form
Per our Mission Statement:
"PolyColumbus empowers individuals that either self-identify as polyamorous, open, or ethically non-monogamous, or are exploring such possibilities. We build community to provide a safe and inclusive place to not only be ourselves, but also meet like-minded individuals from all backgrounds. We advocate for the equal treatment of the ethically non-monogamous under law, and for broader societal acceptance of the same. We serve organizations with similar goals by documenting best practices and creating other resources for successfully running such an organization. Finally, we educate each other, allied organizations, and the broader community on what it means to be ethically non-monogamous."
PolyColumbus is governed by a Board of Directors, all of whom are volunteers. Vacancies on the board are filled by a vote of the current board of directors. All who are members of PolyColumbus are welcome to apply to be on the board by submitting this form.
Board members are required to:
1. Self-identify as polyamorous, open, ethically non-monogamous, and/or similar.
2. Reside OR work in the geographic area served by PolyColumbus OR attend events in the area from time to time
3. Use/check Slack for official communication (2-3 times a week is ideal)
4. Maintain a reasonably active role in the events put on by PolyColumbus and follow our Code of Conduct.
5. Be willing to publicly identify, with their real name, as a board member of PolyColumbus. Public identification will include listing on our website and in administrative filings.
6. Provide a personal commitment of at least $100 per year to PolyColumbus' financial health (may be pro-rated and/or split into installments). Most board members meet this commitment through a gift, although there are fundraising options.
Serving on the Board of Directors requires active participation and strong good communication skills..
One or more of the following attributes make someone an even stronger candidate for our board:
* Adding to our diversity of life experiences and perspectives
* Being able to contribute financially above the $100 per year minimum, when financially able
* Experience with Board governance
* Demonstrated leadership abilities
* Being able to follow up on tasks with minimal reminders
* Ability and willingness to commit substantial hours to Board service
* A pragmatic passion, e.g. "done is better than perfect"
* Public speaking experience
* Extensive personal experience practicing ethical non-monogamy
* Advanced degrees, professional licenses, and other credentials that signal the professionalism of our organization
We generally prefer at least one person on the board with these attributes/skills:
* Financial background (e.g. business degree)
* Fundraising experience
* Human resources experience
* Legal background (i.e. law degree)
* Web development background
* Organizational leadership experience
* Marketing / social media experience
We work with a variety of organizations; below is a representative list. Being connected to organizations like these makes someone an even stronger candidate for our board:
* Adventures in Sexuality
* Bi Local
* Humanist Community of Central Ohio
* National Coalition for Sexual Freedom
* Secular Student Alliance
* Stonewall Columbus
* Various national polyamory leadership networks (such as the PLN)
* Major polyamory groups / conference organizers across the country
* Businesses that cater to alternative lifestyles
* Bars, cafes, and other venues where we hold (or can hold) events
What is your real name?
We define "real name" as the name by which you are generally known outside of alt-sexuality communities. For many people it is their legal name, but for you it might be a nickname or a chosen name.
What is your preferred email address?
If you join the board, we'll issue you an @
email address (if you don't already have one).
What is your preferred phone number?
Is it okay to text you at this number?
Do you self-identify as polyamorous, open, ethically non-monogamous, and/or similar?
Do you reside or work in either Franklin County or a surrounding county?
The board currently meets in-person during the evening on a quarterly basis (four times a year) Are you available then?
We typically meet in the evenings in a semi-private location in the Columbus area.
Do you currently consider yourself to be active in PolyColumbus events?
This is obviously subjective, so go with your gut.
Yes, and I expect to be more active in events if added to the Board
Yes, and I feel like the extra time I have to give if added to the Board is more behind-the-scenes
No, but I I expect to be more active in events if added to the Board
No, and I feel like the extra time I have to give if added to the Board is more behind-the-scenes
Are you willing to publicly identify, with your real name, as a board member of PolyColumbus?
Are you willing to provide a personal commitment of at least $100 per year to PolyColumbus' financial health?
Board members joining mid-year are allowed to pro-rate their gift on the year if needed.
Yes, I can meet that amount ($100 or pro-rated) with a personal gift
Yes, and then some (some board members give above the minimum)
Yes, and I anticipate needing to fundraise to meet that amount ($100 or pro-rated)
Why are you interested in serving on the PolyColumbus Board of directors?
Board service is hard. What drives your passion?
We listed several attributes that make Board members stronger. Of these, where are you strongest? What other experiences, abilities or special skills might you contribute that are not listed/described?
Feel free to discuss several attributes if you'd like. This is your chance to shine!
We listed several attributes that make Board members stronger. Of these, where do you have the most room for improvement?
Be honest. We're all experts at different things, which means we all have different areas to improve.
Do you have connections with any of the organizations listed above or similar organizations?
PolyColumbus uses Slack (desktop/laptop/IPad & smartphone options) for leadership coordination. Are you willing to learn/use Slack & check postings 2-3x week?
You can learn more at
Do you have any potential conflicts of interest (current business/financial relationships OR current/recent personal/romantic relationships) with any current Board members or staff members? If so, please briefly describe so we can brainstorm how best to address potential conflicts in advance. Thank you!
Please Review and Affirm that you have reviewed the FULL, updated Community Conduct Policy below. It is your responsibility to ask any questions or seek clarification about the policy and its implementation.
Please sign in the box below-- feel free to ask questions about the policy)
What else would you like the Board to know as we consider your application?
Send me a copy of my responses.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of PolyColumbus.
Terms of Service