"PolyColumbus empowers individuals that either self-identify as polyamorous, open, or ethically non-monogamous, or are exploring such possibilities. We build community to provide a safe and inclusive place to not only be ourselves, but also meet like-minded individuals from all backgrounds. We advocate for the equal treatment of the ethically non-monogamous under law, and for broader societal acceptance of the same. We serve organizations with similar goals by documenting best practices and creating other resources for successfully running such an organization. Finally, we educate each other, allied organizations, and the broader community on what it means to be ethically non-monogamous."
PolyColumbus is governed by a board of directors, all of whom are volunteers. Vacancies on the board are filled by a vote of the current board of directors. All who are members of PolyColumbus are welcome to apply to be on the board by submitting this form.
Board members are required to:
1. Self-identify as polyamorous, open, ethically non-monogamous, and/or similar.
2. Reside or work in the geographic area served by PolyColumbus. Or attend events in the area from time to time.
3. Maintain a reasonably active role in the events put on by PolyColumbus.
4. Be willing to publicly identify, with their real name, as a board member of PolyColumbus. Public identification will include listing on our website and in administrative filings.
5. Provide a personal commitment of at least $100 per year to PolyColumbus' financial health. Most board members meet this commitment through a gift, although there are fundraising options.
Serving on the board of directors is not an honorary position. It requires active participation and is not for the faint of heart.
The following attributes make someone an even stronger candidate for our board:
* Adding to our diversity of life experiences and perspectives * Being able to contribute financially above the $100 per year minimum* Experience with board governance * Demonstrated leadership abilities* Being able to follow up on tasks with minimal reminders* Ability and willingness to commit substantial hours to board service* A pragmatic passion, e.g. "done is better than perfect"* Public speaking experience* Extensive personal experience practicing ethical non-monogamy* Advanced degrees, professional licenses, and other credentials that signal the professionalism of our organization
We generally prefer at least one person on the board with these attributes/skills:
* Financial background (e.g. business degree)* Fundraising experience * Human resources experience* Legal background (i.e. law degree)* Web development background* Organizational leadership experience* Marketing / social media experience
We work with a variety of organizations; below is a representative list. Being connected to organizations like these makes someone an even stronger candidate for our board:
* Adventures in Sexuality* Bi Local* Humanist Community of Central Ohio* National Coalition for Sexual Freedom* Secular Student Alliance* Stonewall Columbus* Various national polyamory leadership networks (such as the PLN)* Major polyamory groups / conference organizers across the country* Businesses that cater to alternative lifestyles* Bars, cafes, and other venues where we hold (or can hold) events