Letter of Recommendation request form
Hi. I receive a lot of requests to write letters of recommendation for students. This form helps me keep track of the letters I have to write.
1) Request the letter at least 2 weeks ahead of the deadline. The more time the better, so let me know as SOON as you think you may need a letter.
2) If you are applying for multiple things, you can just submit one form if it makes sense to do so and if my letter will likely remain the same for each one (e.g. for multiple FSPs, for similar graduate programs), but make this clear in your email to me (step 3).
3) After you submit the form(s), email or Slack me to let me know you did so and wait for me to confirm, unless I've already done so.
4) Send me any other application materials, including: 1) your resume or CV, 2) transcript, and 3) application materials such as your a) cover letter, b) personal statement, c) writing sample. It is ideal if you send me at least some of the materials also 2 weeks before the deadline – I may otherwise not be able to move my schedule around to write you a strong letter based on these materials.
5) For whatever you are applying to, make sure to waive the right to see my letter of recommendation if it is an option. If for some reason you have to submit the letter yourself as part of your application, please provide documentation that this is the case.
6) Shoot me an email reminder 3 days before the application deadline.
7) After you apply, please keep me posted on the outcome! I hope you get accepted to whatever you are applying for, but even if you don't, I like to keep in touch and hear what is going on with you.
Thanks and good luck!
- Prof Costa
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
Your email address
How do we know each other?
(for example: "Gov10", "Research assistant on x project", "You're my thesis advisor".. etc. List ALL the ways.)
When did we first meet?
(for example: "Fall 2020", "July 2019".. etc.)
What are you applying for?
List the program/job/scholarship/etc. here. Please also include a link to the program's website and if applicable, a link to any official instructions for letter writers. If you are applying to more than one program, please number them.
Why are you applying for it?
This can be informal. You are just speaking to me here.
What is the deadline for my recommendation?
How do I submit the recommendation?
For example, do you list my email address in the application form? Do I send it in an email to someone?
Anything else I should know?
Will you email me to let me know you submitted this form and to send me any other application materials?
If you don't have your application materials written just yet, please still shoot me an email to confirm.
Yes, I will send you an email right now!
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service