It's that time of year again: spring rowing season on the Charles!
If you are planning to row or cox with the MIT Rowing Club this season, please fill out this survey with your intent by Wednesday, March 22, 2017.
1) The season will run from April 3rd - May 26th, 2017.
2) Practices will be held 5:45AM - 8AM at the Pierce Boathouse on the MIT Campus.
3) We only offer sweep rowing in 4+s and 8+s. Sculling opportunities are available through MIT’s Department of Athletics Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER).
There is a MANDATORY meeting Monday, April 3rd, 2017 at 6am for ALL rowers and coxswains. Rowing starts April 4th.
Full-time coxswains do not pay dues.
You will not be scheduled to row until your dues are paid in full on AdMIT One or by cash or check.
Rowing Groups and Scheduling:
Check out the following link to see the tentative schedule for the different rowing groups this spring season:
The categories for this spring will be:
- Recreational (T/Th): rowers that are primarily rowing for fun.
- Novice (T/Th/F): rowers that completed learn-to-row in the past two seasons.
- Competitive Men (M/W/F) and Women (M/T/Th): rowers with at least one year of rowing experience who want to race.
-> Rowers who want to row 2 days/week may reserve a seat by paying through AdMIT One ($175) or may show up to the 6am meeting on April 3rd to see if there are still seats available.
-> Rowers who want to row 3 days/week may reserve a seat by paying through AdMIT One ($225) or may show up to the 6am meeting on April 3rd to see if there are still seats available.
-> Substitute rowers pay no dues but we cannot guarantee any time on the water.
Here is the AdMIT One payment page: https://mit.universitytickets.com/w/event.aspx?id=600&cid=35&p=1.
We understand that dues can be onerous. Rowing is an expensive sport, and the grants MITRC receives from MIT/DAPER do not fully cover the cost of running the Club. Therefore we must charge dues. However MITRC is committed to being open and accessible to all MIT affiliates, regardless of a prospective member’s financial resources. If the required dues are prohibitively burdensome, please contact the club officers to discuss (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that we will do our best to get as many people into the group they request as possible, but your final assignment to a rowing group will be dependent on the coaches' assessment of the safety and feasibility of your participation in the group, the number of rowers who sign up AND your availability to row during the season. There are additional requirements for club membership at the end of the survey that all rowers must agree to in order to participate in the spring season.
Regattas: The club divides races up into two categories: competitive and participatory. Competitive regattas are those where the coaches will assemble the fastest boats possible out of the rowers who are interested in attending. Participatory regattas are those where the goal is to get as many people to join the regatta as possible. Participatory regattas are great for people who are looking to get their first racing experience or for those who want a fun, low pressure race environment. Below are the regattas we may participate in for the rest of 2017, please mark these dates on your calendars (we'll provide the missing dates via email as soon as we have them). 3-4 weeks before each regatta we will send out sign up information.
- Wharton Sprints, 4/8/17, Philadelphia, PA, participatory.
- Mayor's Cup, Providence, RI, May, competitive.
- 2nd Annual Hamburger Cup, Cambridge, 5/20/17, participatory.
- Celebration Regatta, Lawrence, MA, participatory.
- Sweeps and Skulls, Providence, RI, competitive.
- Cromwell Cup, Boston, competitive.
- World Class University Rowing Festival,8/21/17-8/27/17, Daegu, South Korea, competitive.
- Pineapple Regatta, Somerville, participatory.
- CRI Fall Classic, Brighton, MA, participatory.
- Textile Regatta, Lowell, MA, 10/1/17, competitive.
- NH Championships, Pembroke, NH, 10/15/17, participatory.
- Head of the Charles, Boston, 10/21/17, competitive.
- CRI Halloween Regatta, Boston, participatory.
Please email the officers if you have any questions (email@example.com)!
See you on the Charles!!