Community Demands for Emergency Schooling During COVID-19
We have all witnessed how the pandemic has radically changed our school systems. We have been fighting racial inequities since long before the virus, but COVID has made worse the push out of our children from school and further denies them their right to quality and equitable education. With the pandemic, we are fighting harder to ensure that our children have the quality education that they are entitled to.
As such, we write to you like Black and Brown students, alumni, teachers, staff, and parents to eliminate the barriers our students and parents are encountering in school districts in Monterey County, by prioritizing the following demands:
* Eliminating the digital divide through ensuring free quality internet for all and technical assistance that truly meets the needs of families
* Teacher training on effective distance/virtual learning methods to ensure quality education with the same effectiveness of in-person learning
* Quality parent and student involvement in solution development
* Access to licensed counselors, social workers, and therapists to support culturally relevant and socioemotional needs
* Quality access and services to Early Education, special consideration for their learning needs, additional support tailored to families to ensure individual learning needs are met
* Quality access and services to Special Education special consideration for their learning needs, additional support tailored to families to ensure individual learning needs are met
* Ensuring health and safety of students by providing access to the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as school supplies, hygiene products, and food
* Investment on virtual workshops such as higher education, career readiness, and tech support
* Students are not marked as truant due to absences and late connection during the pandemic. All schools ensure that proper student support is provided instead of utilizing punitive practices
Our demands are a reflection of our students' and parents' real-life experience during this time of emergency learning. We urge you to work alongside our families in bridging these equity gaps, in Monterey County school districts, by centering our most vulnerable populations. By signing this letter you are contributing to the quality of education our children deserve.
You are a...
What organization or school site are you connected to?
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of action council.